Artificially aging wine via ultrasound

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anticitizen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    aging Ultrasound
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
Anticitizen
Messages
152
Reaction score
0
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...heap-plonk-vintage-wine--just-half-hour.html"

Inventors say a bottle of any bargain booze can be transformed in just 30 minutes, using space-age ultrasound technology.

The £350 gadget - which looks like an ordinary ice bucket - recreates the effects of decades of aging by colliding alcohol molecules inside the bottle.

I don't know enough about how wine ages to debate the above, but the following set the alarm bells off in my head:

'I have even tried it with orange juice after I saw a similar device being used in the US. It didn't just make the juice taste fresher, it made it look brighter too.'

Mmm-hmm...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My understanding is that wine ages by the acids and alcohol in the wine reacting slowly and producing esters which gives older wines their fragrances. I don't know how ultrasound would do that.
 
It's a complex chemical process and this product is bogus. Some beers age in the same way.
 
'It works on any alcohol that tastes better aged. Even a bottle of paint-stripper whisky can taste like an 8-year-aged single malt.'

This some kind of joke?