Artificially aging wine via ultrasound

In summary, a new invention claims to be able to transform cheap alcohol into vintage wine in just 30 minutes using ultrasound technology. However, there are doubts about the scientific validity of this claim, as well as concerns about the taste and appearance of the transformed alcohol. Some experts argue that the complex chemical process of aging wine cannot be replicated by ultrasound.
Anticitizen
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...heap-plonk-vintage-wine--just-half-hour.html"

Inventors say a bottle of any bargain booze can be transformed in just 30 minutes, using space-age ultrasound technology.

The £350 gadget - which looks like an ordinary ice bucket - recreates the effects of decades of aging by colliding alcohol molecules inside the bottle.

I don't know enough about how wine ages to debate the above, but the following set the alarm bells off in my head:

'I have even tried it with orange juice after I saw a similar device being used in the US. It didn't just make the juice taste fresher, it made it look brighter too.'

Mmm-hmm...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My understanding is that wine ages by the acids and alcohol in the wine reacting slowly and producing esters which gives older wines their fragrances. I don't know how ultrasound would do that.

It's a complex chemical process and this product is bogus. Some beers age in the same way.

'It works on any alcohol that tastes better aged. Even a bottle of paint-stripper whisky can taste like an 8-year-aged single malt.'

This some kind of joke?

1. What is artificially aging wine via ultrasound?

Artificially aging wine via ultrasound is a process in which ultrasound waves are used to simulate the effects of traditional aging methods on wine, such as oak barrels or bottle aging. This technology is still in its early stages and is being researched as a potential alternative to traditional wine aging methods.

2. How does ultrasound impact the aging process of wine?

The ultrasound waves used in this process create micro-vibrations in the wine, which can accelerate the aging process by breaking down tannins and other compounds. This can result in changes to the flavor, aroma, and texture of the wine, similar to what would occur with traditional aging methods.

3. Can ultrasound artificially age wine as effectively as traditional methods?

At this time, it is still unclear if ultrasound can replicate the same effects as traditional aging methods. Some studies have shown promising results, but more research is needed to fully understand the impact of ultrasound on wine aging.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to artificially aging wine via ultrasound?

Some experts have expressed concerns that artificially aging wine via ultrasound may not result in the same complexity and depth of flavors as traditional methods. Additionally, there are questions about the long-term effects of ultrasound on wine and whether it could potentially alter the chemical composition of the wine.

5. Is artificially aging wine via ultrasound currently being used in the wine industry?

While there have been some experiments and studies on ultrasound aging, it is not yet being widely used in the wine industry. More research and development is needed before this technology can be considered a viable alternative to traditional aging methods.

Back