As an Engineer, will you just sit on your butt?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter KidWonder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, the individual is interested in becoming a Mechanical Engineer and is planning to attend the University of Akron for this field. They have always been curious about how things work and have a strong desire to become an Engineer. However, they are concerned about the possibility of Mechanical Engineers spending most of their time sitting in an office and using software programs like Solidworks. They would prefer to have hands-on experience with things like planes, cars, and turbines. They are wondering if this is true and if there are opportunities for Mechanical Engineers to have hands-on experience. They are also worried about their family's opinion of them pursuing a career as a mechanic. The conversation also mentions the different types of engineering jobs, such as research, production, and field engineering
Thanks for the heads up Guys.

I just want to enjoy my job. I think I envisioned the wrong picture of what an Modern Engineer does on a daily basis.

It's depressing to me, if I have to stare at a Computer Screen ALL DAY LONG. I want to design, build, test, and refine. But, that's certainly not happening.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you should get a PhD and become an academic engineer, then you get to do the real nitty gritty of design.

What is a Academic Engineer?

Someone who is a professor of engineering at a university, they conduct research at their school. I'm guessing they get more design freedom than your standard engineer in industry, but what do I know

KidWonder said:
It's depressing to me, if I have to stare at a Computer Screen ALL DAY LONG. I want to design, build, test, and refine. But, that's certainly not happening.

What do you mean by those words?

Design -> Sitting with software tools, staring at a screen.

Build -> Actually using tools, and putting metallic frames together? (that is a machine and/or a mechanic work). However, INVENTORS do those kind of jobs, but I think that's mostly freelance work.

Test -> It's a way to collect a lot of data of your prototype, and then you need to analyze through a available software, or program your own (more time sitting).

Refine -> Improvements in design? additional testing? more time sitting.

Go to an oil rig and you won't be sitting in office.

Go to a mechanical design company, you will be desperate to find a chance to walk around.

ME is a very broad field. Do not generalize it by looking at one or two person.

I hope to not get just the average mechanical engineering job, with a concentration in aerospace I and hopefully masters in aerospace engineering that I can do something more exciting, but I'm not counting on it right off the bat. Even if I end up in a regular ME job, I could justify it by using my knowledge and skills to design, build, test things of interest in my free time. Better than not getting paid well and working with my hands by putting together someone else's design.

<h2>1. Will I spend all day sitting at a desk as an engineer?</h2><p>No, engineering involves a variety of tasks that may require sitting at a desk, but also involve hands-on work, collaboration with others, and field work.</p><h2>2. Is engineering a physically demanding job?</h2><p>It depends on the specific field of engineering and the nature of the project. Some engineers may have physically demanding jobs, while others may have more desk-based work.</p><h2>3. Do engineers have a good work-life balance?</h2><p>Again, this can vary depending on the industry and specific job. Some engineers may have more demanding schedules, especially during project deadlines, while others may have a more balanced schedule.</p><h2>4. Will I have opportunities for career advancement as an engineer?</h2><p>Yes, there are many opportunities for career advancement in engineering, including promotions, specialized roles, and leadership positions.</p><h2>5. Can I use my engineering skills in other industries?</h2><p>Absolutely! Engineering skills are highly transferable and can be applied in a variety of industries, such as healthcare, finance, and technology.</p>

1. Will I spend all day sitting at a desk as an engineer?

No, engineering involves a variety of tasks that may require sitting at a desk, but also involve hands-on work, collaboration with others, and field work.

2. Is engineering a physically demanding job?

It depends on the specific field of engineering and the nature of the project. Some engineers may have physically demanding jobs, while others may have more desk-based work.

3. Do engineers have a good work-life balance?

Again, this can vary depending on the industry and specific job. Some engineers may have more demanding schedules, especially during project deadlines, while others may have a more balanced schedule.

4. Will I have opportunities for career advancement as an engineer?

Yes, there are many opportunities for career advancement in engineering, including promotions, specialized roles, and leadership positions.

5. Can I use my engineering skills in other industries?

Absolutely! Engineering skills are highly transferable and can be applied in a variety of industries, such as healthcare, finance, and technology.