Asexual Speciation: Distinguishing Species of Asexual Organisms

  • Thread starter Thread starter Archosaur
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Archosaur
Messages
333
Reaction score
4
It's easy to distinguish species of sexual organisms, but how do we distinguish species of asexual organisms?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Archosaur said:
It's easy to distinguish species of sexual organisms,
Quite often it isn't.

The defn "species = can reproduce" isn't always very accurate however useful it is .

It's been replaced by the more accurate but pretty useless defn = "populations of organisms that have a high level of genetic similarity"
 
mgb_phys said:
high level of genetic similarity"

Wow, that's pretty subjective...
Now I see what all the fuss is about.

I was a little afraid it would be something like that, haha.
(Not that I can think of a more objective rule)

Thanks for the info!