[ASK] Distance from the Upper Base to the Center of Dodecahedron

• MHB
  • Thread starter Monoxdifly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base Center
In summary, this person wants to use Pythagorean theorem and trigonometry to determine the height of pentagonal pyramids that are the same size as a regular dodecahedron. They are unsure about how to determine the angles where three faces of the dodecahedron meet, and are looking for help.
Monoxdifly
MHB
I want to prove the formula of regular dodecahedron's volume. For this, I need to split the dodecahedron to 12 pentagonal pyramid with the same size. However, I don't know how to determine the height of those pentagonal pyramids. Any references I had encountered involving either golden ratio or incircle formula. Can we just determine their height using pure Pythagorean theorem? Trigonometry is also welcomed, but I still have some doubts about determining the angles where 3 faces of the dodecahedron meet because they provided no proof. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Monoxdifly said:
I want to prove the formula of regular dodecahedron's volume. For this, I need to split the dodecahedron to 12 pentagonal pyramid with the same size. However, I don't know how to determine the height of those pentagonal pyramids. Any references I had encountered involving either golden ratio or incircle formula. Can we just determine their height using pure Pythagorean theorem? Trigonometry is also welcomed, but I still have some doubts about determining the angles where 3 faces of the dodecahedron meet because they provided no proof. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
This is another tough one.

Step 1 is to check that $\tan54^\circ = \dfrac{1+\sqrt5}{\sqrt{10-2\sqrt5}}.$ That is essentially what you asked in http://mathhelpboards.com/trigonometry-12/ask-tan-36-a-18156.html#post83543, or you can find a detailed proof of it here. You can simplify that expression in two ways. First, multiply top and bottom of the fraction by $\sqrt{10+2\sqrt5}.$ Second, use the fact that $\bigl(1+\sqrt5\bigr)^2 = 6+2\sqrt5$ to write it as $$\tan54^\circ = \frac{1+\sqrt5}{\sqrt{10-2\sqrt5}} = \frac{\sqrt{(6+2\sqrt5)(10+2\sqrt5)}}{\sqrt{80}} = \frac{\sqrt{80+32\sqrt5}}{4\sqrt5} = \frac{\sqrt{5+2\sqrt5}}{\sqrt5}.$$

Step 2 is to find the area of a regular pentagon with side $a$. This consists of five "pizza slice" triangles with base $a$ and height $a\tan54^\circ$. Using Step 1, their total area comes out as $A = \sqrt{5\bigl(5+2\sqrt5\bigr)}a^2.$

Step 3 is to use coordinates to represent a regular dodecahedron. The standard choice is to take the $20$ vertices to be the points $$(\pm1,\pm1,\pm1),\quad (0,\pm\tau^{-1},\pm\tau),\quad (\pm\tau,0,\pm\tau^{-1}), \quad (\pm\tau^{-1},\pm\tau,0),$$ where $\tau$ is the golden ratio $\frac12(1+\sqrt5).$ Select one face of this dodecahedron, for example by choosing the five vertices $$(1,1,1),\quad (0,\tau^{-1},\tau),\quad (-1,1,1), \quad (-\tau^{-1},\tau,0), \quad (\tau^{-1},\tau,0).$$ The centre point of this face (obtained by taking the means of the coordinates of the vertices) is the point $$\bigl(0, \tfrac{5+3\sqrt5}{10}, \tfrac{5+\sqrt5}{10} \bigr).$$ The distance $h_0$ from that point to the centre of the dodecahedron (which is the origin) is given by $$h_0^2 = \tfrac1{100}\bigl((5+3\sqrt5)^2 + (5+\sqrt5)^2\bigr),$$ which simplifies to $h_0^2 = \frac15\bigl(5+2\sqrt5\bigr).$ The edges of this canonical dodecahedron have length $\sqrt5-1$. So in a dodecahedron with side $a$ the distance corresponding to $h_0$ would be $$h = \frac{\sqrt{\frac 15\bigl(5+2\sqrt5 \bigr)}}{\sqrt5-1}a.$$

Step 4. We can now get the volume of the dodecahedron as the union of $12$ pentagonal pyramids with base area $A$ and height $h$, namely $$V = 12\times\frac13 \times \sqrt{5\bigl(5+2\sqrt5\bigr)}a^2 \times \frac{\sqrt{\frac15\bigl(5+2\sqrt5\bigr)}}{\sqrt5-1}a.$$ Using the same trick as in Step 1 to rationalise the fraction (here, multiply top and bottom by $\sqrt5 + 1$), this simplifies to $$V = \tfrac14\bigl(15 + 7\sqrt5\bigr)a^3.$$

Last edited:
Coordinates again? Do I ever escape that?

Monoxdifly said:
Coordinates again? Do I ever escape that?
What have you got against them? Cartesian geometry is one of the most powerful tools in mathematics. (Happy)

Opalg said:
What have you got against them? Cartesian geometry is one of the most powerful tools in mathematics. (Happy)

I managed to do it without coordinates by using only Pythagorean theorem and trigonometry. I would post them once I have much time.

1. How do you calculate the distance from the upper base to the center of a dodecahedron?

The distance from the upper base to the center of a dodecahedron can be calculated by using the formula:
d = a/2 * √(5 + 2√5)
Where d is the distance from the upper base to the center, and a is the length of one edge of the dodecahedron.

2. What is the significance of knowing the distance from the upper base to the center of a dodecahedron?

Knowing the distance from the upper base to the center of a dodecahedron is important in various fields such as geometry, architecture, and engineering. It helps in determining the dimensions and proportions of the dodecahedron and can be used in the design and construction of structures with dodecahedral shapes.

3. Can you explain the concept of a dodecahedron and its characteristics?

A dodecahedron is a three-dimensional shape with 12 faces, each face being a regular pentagon. It has 20 vertices and 30 edges. The distance from the upper base to the center is equal to the length of one edge. Its characteristics include having icosahedral symmetry, meaning it can be rotated in 3D space to look the same from different angles.

4. How is the distance from the upper base to the center of a dodecahedron related to its volume?

The distance from the upper base to the center of a dodecahedron is directly proportional to its volume. This means that as the distance increases, so does the volume of the dodecahedron. This relationship can be expressed as:
V ∝ d^3
Where V is the volume and d is the distance from the upper base to the center.

5. Are there any real-life applications of a dodecahedron with a known distance from the upper base to the center?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of a dodecahedron with a known distance from the upper base to the center. It is used in the design of soccer balls, carbon molecules, and various architectural structures. It also has applications in computer graphics and virtual reality, where it is used to create complex 3D models.