Center of mass of NH3 molecule, not quite there

In summary, the conversation discusses the structure and measurements of an ammonia (NH3) molecule, specifically the distance between its hydrogen atoms and the nitrogen atom, the mass ratio of nitrogen to hydrogen, and the calculation of its center of mass. The correct answer for the y component of the center of mass is 3.08x10^-11, which differs from the initial calculation due to the use of rounded values instead of the actual periodic table masses.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

An amonia NH3 molecule in the figure has three hydrogen atoms, which form a equilateral triangle as the base of a pyramid. At the top of the pyramid is the nitrogen atom.

The length between any two hydrogen atoms is 9.4x10^-11, the length from nitrogen to any of the hydrogen atoms is 10.14x10^-11.

The mass ratio of nitrogen to hydrogen is 13.9.

The xaxis runs through the bottom of the pyramid, one of the points lies on it. The y-axis runs through the center of the pyramid vertically.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am getting a close answer, but off enough to think I'm doing something wrong.

x center of mass is 0, by symmetry/intuition.

For y, what i did was try to find how high nitrogen is with the pythagorean theorem. I got that nitrogen should be at a height of 3.8x10^-11 along y axis.

I multiplied this number by 13.9, then divided by 16.9.

My result is 3.125x10^-11 for the ycom, but the correct answer is 3.08x10^-11. Why am I off by that amount?

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:
For y, what i did was try to find how high nitrogen is with the pythagorean theorem. I got that nitrogen should be at a height of 3.8x10^-11 along y axis.
What triangle did you use?

The reason for the error is that I took their word for it and just used 1 and 13.9, while they used the actual periodic table masses of N and H. 13.9 is pretty darn close to the actual ratio of mass between the two, but not close enough.

Good. Glad you figured it out.

The center of mass of a molecule is the point at which the mass of the molecule is evenly distributed. In the case of the NH3 molecule, the center of mass will be located at the point where the three hydrogen atoms and the nitrogen atom are in balance.

To calculate the center of mass, we can use the formula:

xcom = (m1x1 + m2x2 + m3x3 + m4x4) / (m1 + m2 + m3 + m4)

where m1, m2, m3, and m4 are the masses of the four atoms and x1, x2, x3, and x4 are their corresponding positions along the x-axis.

Using this formula, we can calculate the x coordinate of the center of mass to be 0, as you have correctly stated.

For the y coordinate, we can use a similar formula:

ycom = (m1y1 + m2y2 + m3y3 + m4y4) / (m1 + m2 + m3 + m4)

where y1, y2, y3, and y4 are the positions of the atoms along the y-axis.

Using this formula, we can calculate the y coordinate of the center of mass to be 3.08x10^-11, which is the correct answer.

It seems that your calculation may have been slightly off due to rounding errors or a small mistake in the calculations. I would recommend double checking your calculations to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it is always a good idea to include units in your calculations to avoid any confusion. Overall, your approach was correct and your answer was close, but it is important to be as precise as possible in scientific calculations.

1. What is the center of mass of an NH3 molecule?

The center of mass of an NH3 molecule is the point at which the mass of the molecule is evenly distributed. It is calculated by taking the average position of all the individual atoms in the molecule.

2. How is the center of mass of an NH3 molecule determined?

The center of mass of an NH3 molecule can be determined by using the formula xcm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + m3x3 + m4x4) / (m1 + m2 + m3 + m4), where xcm is the center of mass, mi is the mass of each atom, and xi is the position of each atom along the x-axis.

3. Why is the center of mass important for an NH3 molecule?

The center of mass is important for an NH3 molecule because it helps to determine the stability and orientation of the molecule. It is also used in various calculations and experiments involving the molecule.

4. Does the center of mass of an NH3 molecule change?

Yes, the center of mass of an NH3 molecule can change depending on the orientation and movement of the molecule. However, it will always remain within the molecule and will not move outside of it.

5. Can the center of mass be located outside of the NH3 molecule?

No, the center of mass will always be located within the molecule. It cannot be located outside of the molecule as it is a property of the molecule itself and is determined by the positions and masses of the individual atoms in the molecule.