[ASK] How much velocity is needed for the rock to be able to hit that bird?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Monoxdifly
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bird Rock Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Monoxdifly
MHB
Messages
288
Reaction score
0
A bird is located at the (50, 8 ) m coordinate. A boy shot a rock at it using a slingshot with the elevation angle $$37^{\circ}$$. How much velocity is needed for the rock to be able to hit that bird?

I substituted all known variables (including the gravity acceleration $$10m/s^2$$, with $$\sin37^{\circ}=\frac{3}{5}$$ and $$\cos37^{\circ}=\frac{4}{5}$$) to $$x=v_0\cos\alpha t$$ and $$y=v_0\sin\alpha t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2$$. Substituting the $$v_0$$ I got from both equations resulted in $$\frac{125}{2t}=\frac{40+25t^2}{3t}$$ and I got $$t^2=5,9$$. Am I right? Because if it is indeed the right value of t, everything will be complicated from there.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct and then [tex]t= \sqrt{5.9}= 2.43[/tex] (to two decimal places). But why do things "get complicated"? You have [tex]x= 50= v_0 cos(37)(2.43)= 1.94 v_0[/tex]. [tex]v_0= 50/1.94= 25.8[/tex] m/s.
 
Country Boy said:
But why do things "get complicated"?

Probably just because I'm not used to the approximation of irrational numbers.