Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Asking for recommendation on Fluid Dynamics and CFD textbooks

1. Nov 10, 2018 at 9:00 AM #1
    Dear All

I am an undergraduate student studying in physics. I would probably get into research that needed fluid dynamics and CFD (computational fluid dynamics) skills. Previously I have not been taking a formal fluid dynamics course since there is none. I would like to pick up those skills by choosing some text for self - studying. However, I found that most of the fluid mechanics or fluid dynamics book on the market are engineering oriented. I would like to ask would there be any suggestion on good fluid dynamics book that are physics oriented? Nevertheless, would there be any good suggestion on a good CFD book for self study?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2018 at 8:05 AM #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you are at a university I recommend looking in your library, since looking at the book first hand is the best way to know if it might work for you. Here are a couple examples:

Tritton's book is pretty good:
    https://www.amazon.com/Physical-Dynamics-Oxford-Science-Publications/dp/0198544936
    it is geared for a 3rd or 4th year undergraduate physics student.

A more comprehensive (and heavier!) book is by Kundu:
    https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Mechanics-Pijush-K-Kundu/dp/012405935X

If you look in your library stacks near these books you will surely find many others as well. Good luck,

I won't suggest cfd books since I know absolutely nothing about the subject.

jason

4. Nov 13, 2018 at 6:34 AM #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Pozrikidis's book "Introduction to theoretical and computational fluid dynamics" is (likely) exactly what you are looking for.

5. Nov 14, 2018 at 9:58 AM #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

For theory one of the most clear and well-written hydro book is volume 6 of Landau&Lifshitz.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted