Specifying Knowledge When Asking for Textbook Recommendation

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Amrator
  • Start date
In summary, Micro thinks the mentor's forum is a shady government conspiracy and Drakkith thinks it's a religious experience.
Amrator
Hi,

There are far too many instances where a member will start up a new thread, ask for a textbook recommendation, not specify their current knowledge, and then never reply again.

I think it should be required that they specify what they already know (kind of like the homework templates); otherwise, no one can assist them.

Just a suggestion.

Physics news on Phys.org
And how do we make them do this? there are lots of threads with insufficient information: "How do you do problem 3 in Tuesday's assignment?"

Sure, great idea, I fell into that trap myself with this one...

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-best-physics-books-to-build-theoretical-knowledge.876862/

The problem I see is that we get students who think that they are ready for advanced texts because they do a google search for a subject and drop a well known book title. We also fall into that trap by telling them for example to go straight to Sakaurai after they read Halliday and Resnik for quantum mechanics, that isn't the book to initially learn from when you have no background. Maybe we should take this to the advisors lounge...

Likes Amrator
Vanadium 50 said:
And how do we make them do this? there are lots of threads with insufficient information: "How do you do problem 3 in Tuesday's assignment?"
Like the homework template. Instead of:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It would be:
Current background/knowledge:

And then they would have to check a box that says, "I have specified my current knowledge."

@micromass, what are your thoughts?

I love the idea. I do agree with Vanadium that many people will still ignore the template, but I think that many people will see the template and try to fill it in. So while a template would not solve everything, there will likely be less posts with inadequate information. So it's a good thing.

If it were up to me though, I would request a lot more than background. Finding a book right for you is a sensitive issue. The more information you have,t he more adequately you can find a book for the person.

So perhaps not all of this should be in the template but it's really handy to know the following:
- Current knowledge
- What are the reasons for studying this specific subject
- What style in books do you like/dislike? For example: a lot of proofs, focus on applications, verbose, etc.
- What are your ultimate goals?

Likes Amrator
Note: Mentors and advisors should see the thread in the Mentor's forum on this.

Drakkith said:

For all other members: the existence of a mentor's forum cannot be confirmed or denied.

Likes Amrator and mfb
Drakkith said:
Er, you realize the advisors can't see the Mentor's forum either?

strangerep said:
Er, you realize the advisors can't see the Mentor's forum either?

That's a lie, spread by those who have never seen the glory of the Mentor's private forum!

But seriously, if that's the case, ignore my previous post.

Micro seems to see the mentor's forums as some kind of shady government conspiracy. Drakkith seems to see them as a religious experience.

Micro is an ex-mentor. Drakkith is a current mentor.

Hmmmm... Somebody call Mulder.

Likes OCR
Ibix said:
Hmmmm... Somebody call Mulder.

We can't find him. He seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth.

Likes OCR
Ibix said:
Somebody call Mulder.
Drakkith said:
He seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth.

Lol...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:olduhh:

What is the purpose of specifying knowledge when asking for textbook recommendation?

Specifying knowledge helps to narrow down the options and find the most relevant textbook recommendations for a specific topic or subject area.

How do I specify my knowledge when asking for textbook recommendation?

You can specify your knowledge by providing the subject, topic, level of difficulty, and any specific requirements or preferences you have for the textbook.

Why is it important to specify the level of difficulty when asking for textbook recommendation?

Specifying the level of difficulty ensures that you receive textbook recommendations that align with your current knowledge and skill level, making it easier for you to understand and learn from the material.

What should I do if I have specific requirements or preferences for the textbook?

If you have specific requirements or preferences, make sure to clearly state them when asking for textbook recommendations. This will help narrow down the options and find the best fit for your needs.

Can I specify multiple subjects or topics when asking for textbook recommendation?

Yes, you can specify multiple subjects or topics when asking for textbook recommendations. This will help you find textbooks that cover multiple areas of interest or are interdisciplinary in nature.