Assembly code compiler horror story

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties and challenges of writing assembly language code to drive a fan. The speaker encountered problems with the compiler software and had to fix errors in the code. After a long period of coding and debugging, the code was successfully compiled and uploaded to the microcontroller. However, a typo in the LCD display caused the fan to not work properly. The speaker also shares their frustration and exhaustion from working for 30 hours straight to meet a deadline. The conversation ends with a humorous mention of "computer language" and a congratulatory message for successfully debugging the code.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So, I'm writing assembly language code to drive a fan by varying the pulsewidth.

Halfway through (6 hours or so ago) I try to compile it.

The compiler software is a piece of crap (code uses a structured assembly language, so it doesn't recognise anything), and I need to bring everything into one directory (in a different spot where I originally had it), and run a separate file to compile it.

No problems.

Keep coding.

and coding.

and coding.

Finally finish, and compile. Upload it to my microcontroller. Flip the switch. Fan no go, and I have a typo in the LCD display.

Look at the code, find the problems. Transposed the ASCII character, and sent power to the wrong bit, so it wasn't powering the fan.

Fix it, recompile, resend, run. Hrmm... still using the old code (the typo isn't fixed)

Go back into the first compiler (I was going to remove the structured assembly parts), run compile, go to the first problem, fix it.

Save as...

The mvdrfvkn workspace still had the old file as the active one.

So, I basically just wiped out 6 hours worth of work.

*sigh* Back to work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sob.

I need a hug.

I feel your pain, enigma.

*solemn bowing of head, moment of silence*

Doubly so since you're coding in assembly... ugh.

I think every programmer has at least one of these episodes. It's a mandatory part of the overall torture package.

I at least find that it's easier to rewrite everything the second time over, since you've already worked through it all once before... Look on the bright side-- you've reset your karmic counter of programming disasters, so you should be relatively impervious to devestating losses of data in the near future. :smile:

In the meantime, take a break, catch your breath and think happy thoughts.

Well, I'm up to 30 hours with no sleep, but I got it re-coded, debugged, and in an hour before the deadline.

Yay me.

Now, someone help me get these pink elephants out of the lab...

Whenever I screw up with a computer my wife has a term for the words that she hears coming from the room: "computer language."

I'm sure I would have plenty of cause to use computer language if I had to program in assembly language. :smile:

Good work tracking down your bug.

What is an Assembly code compiler?

An Assembly code compiler is a software program that translates assembly language code into machine code, which is the language that a computer's processor can understand and execute.

What is a horror story related to Assembly code compilers?

A horror story related to Assembly code compilers is when a compiler produces incorrect or unexpected results, leading to hours of debugging and frustration for the programmer.

What are some common issues that can occur with Assembly code compilers?

Some common issues that can occur with Assembly code compilers include incorrect translation of code, unexpected behavior of the program, and difficult to find bugs.

How can one prevent or handle a horror story with an Assembly code compiler?

To prevent or handle a horror story with an Assembly code compiler, it is important to thoroughly test and debug the code, use multiple compilers to ensure consistency, and have a solid understanding of the assembly language and compiler used.

Are there any alternatives to Assembly code compilers?

Yes, there are alternatives to Assembly code compilers such as high-level programming languages like C or Java, which are easier to read and write, and have less chance of producing unexpected results.