Assessing your ability to succeed at a high level in Sci/Eng

• Thread starter nextwave
  • Start date
In summary, success in the fields of engineering and science is not solely determined by high GPAs and IQs. It also requires creativity, work ethic, drive, communication skills, mentors, collaborators, and funding opportunities. Even with all of these factors, success is not guaranteed. It is important to focus on your own strengths and goals rather than comparing yourself to others or trying to emulate the best in the field. The system may not always offer the perfect career or job, but it is up to the individual to make the most out of their own abilities and achieve their own personal goals.
nextwave
Hi all,

How does one go about in a systematic, unbiased way of determining if one has the capabilities to succeed at the level of the engineers and scientists who invented stuff like the transistor, lasers, the CAT and MRI scanners (or more lately - STMs and EM cloaks) ?

Is it really just very high GPAs and IQs that can predict success in these fields ?- think about people like Dean Kamen

Can one realistically reach these levels through just the training at undergrad and graduate institutions? -what aren't they teaching us?

How to know that you aren't deluding yourself and wasting time by pursuing something for which you don't have the talent ?

There's tentative evidence that certain aspects of intelligence can be trained,see (http://www.pnas.org/content/105/19/6829.full.pdf+html) - what hope is there for us without "real talent" ?-do we wait for the singularity in 2045 or something?

P.S.: I could care less about the pure physics stuff nowadays, concerning string theory,dark matter,Higgs,etc...and hope I wasn't too rambling.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no real litmus test for success, I'm afraid. At some point, you just have to jump in and see if you can swim.

It's not always the people with the highest GPAs or IQs that turn out to be the best researchers or inventors. It certainly helps to have a little more "horsepower between the ears" as my father would say, but that will only get you so far. You also need:
- a certain amount of creativity
- a strong work ethic
- a strong personal drive
- communication and collaboration skills
- strong mentors
- strong collaborators
- funding opportunities

And even all that won't guarantee you success. You can take a brilliant student, give him or her the best education and all the opportunity in the world and you still won't be guaranteed a Nobel prize.

On the flip side, a personal observation I have is that sometimes the 'average' students (although I'm talking 'average' graduate students here) end up being better researchers than their high GPA counterparts.

Those without real talent can read novels or something, there's always something amusing to do. Don't get hung up on the old "I'm nothing if I don't have talent"
rubbish.

This is something which each & everyone has gone through(including me, in past that is). Everyone tries to find that magic trick to succeed by emulating the best in business. People should just let go of it, & concentrate and do their level best on whatever that they are doing.

It's only my view, but then one can only give an opinion of their own view?

My experience through life has shown me that any individual person always wants to be somebody else?

Why?

Education to me has been designed to lead people to a conclusion, to direct them to a certain type of industry or job, but is that job really available now, and would it be a few years down the line?

I have like many in my younger days struggled to get a job, when I have got the job I thought I wanted I then thought my life was secure and OK?

Look now at the so-called global recession, does it really exist, can you prove it either way, has it affected your life, is there really a shortage of money around the planet?

The British Government have been throwing billions of pounds around and they don't seem to have a problem in reality, the Americans have just sent a 2 billion dollar investment to the moon?

What am I saying here?

The individual needs to think very clearly, who am I and what do I want out of life to make my life better, what is the system offering me, not what does the system want out of me?

If your chosen career is to be an engineer, and you have always wanted to be an engineer, then nobody will change your mind, you will be an engineer. When I left school I wanted to be an engineer, some 26 years later I am still an engineer, nobody changed my mind.

In my day we did not have computers and career advisors, we had to plan out ourselves what we wanted to do. I didn't waist my life wanting to be anyone else because that is not a reality, you are what you are as an individual, that's it, nobody is bourne with any super wisdom which is not available to any other person, you just have to learn to think for yourself, work your brain like doing weight training, but this time you have to read a lot and do plenty problem solving in your area of expertise.

Wisdom in your own mind will grow, you will achieve goals that you never thought you could achieve, not only that you will soon realize that the social circles around you are not as increased in wisdom as you are, you will see what I mean when you achieve it?

Go out there and achieve what you wish to achieve for you as an individual, take from the system what you need, make your own life better, you never know, the system is not that intelligent, it just may look to you in the future for advice?

David

Choppy said:
There's no real litmus test for success, I'm afraid. At some point, you just have to jump in and see if you can swim.

Amen.

Anyway, what are you going to do if you can't succeed at the highest levels? Give up and go flip burgers? There is plenty of room to succeed at lower levels. Not everyone can revolutionize the world, most just help keep the slow drumbeat of progress going.

Yeah, I would re-iterate TMFKAN64's point. Science is like a mountain, you have the Feynman's and Newton's at the top that get famous but beneath them there are many more people working who will not be famous, but without their work we would not have the work of Feynman etc.

We are just standing on the shoulders of giants after all.

I've also had this thought before, but I realized one thing. I may not become Einstein or Newton because of my limited intelligence, but who would I be if I said "I'm not smart enough for this" and settled for a job that I would enjoy less?

alexgmcm said:
Yeah, I would re-iterate TMFKAN64's point. Science is like a mountain, you have the Feynman's and Newton's at the top that get famous but beneath them there are many more people working who will not be famous, but without their work we would not have the work of Feynman etc.

We are just standing on the shoulders of giants after all.
Wouldn't that be more like the giants standing on a pile of little people? :wink: (now there's an uncomfortable image...)

diazona said:
Wouldn't that be more like the giants standing on a pile of little people? :wink: (now there's an uncomfortable image...)

:rofl:

1. What skills are necessary to succeed in Sci/Eng?

To succeed at a high level in Sci/Eng, it is important to have strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills. You should also have a solid understanding of mathematical and scientific concepts, as well as the ability to communicate your ideas effectively.

2. How can I improve my ability to succeed in Sci/Eng?

To improve your ability to succeed in Sci/Eng, you can focus on developing your critical thinking skills, practicing problem-solving techniques, and staying updated on the latest scientific and technological advancements. You can also seek out mentorship and participate in hands-on projects to gain practical experience.

3. What challenges might I face when trying to succeed in Sci/Eng?

Some common challenges in Sci/Eng include dealing with complex and ever-evolving technologies, managing large amounts of data, and working on interdisciplinary teams. Additionally, funding and resources can sometimes be limited, and you may face competition from other scientists and engineers.

4. How important is a strong academic background for success in Sci/Eng?

A strong academic background can be beneficial for success in Sci/Eng, as it provides a solid foundation of knowledge and skills. However, practical experience and the ability to think critically and creatively are also essential. Therefore, a combination of academic excellence and practical experience is often the key to success.

5. Can anyone succeed in Sci/Eng, or is it only for those with a natural aptitude?

While having a natural aptitude for science and engineering can certainly be helpful, anyone can succeed in these fields with dedication, hard work, and a passion for learning. With the right mindset and a willingness to continuously improve, anyone can achieve success in Sci/Eng.

Back