Assign spin and parities to Nuclues

• Thread starter malawi_glenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spin
In summary, spin and parity are quantum numbers that describe the intrinsic properties of atomic nuclei. Spin refers to the angular momentum and is denoted as 1/2 or 0, while parity refers to spatial symmetry and is denoted as + or -. These values are determined through experiments such as gamma-ray spectroscopy, which allows scientists to analyze the energy levels and transitions of a nucleus. Spin and parity are significant in understanding the structure and behavior of nuclei, providing insight into stability, decay processes, and interactions with other particles. They can also change through nuclear reactions or decays, such as beta decay. To assign spin and parity to newly discovered nuclei, scientists use a combination of theoretical calculations and experimental techniques, such as angular distribution measurements or
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
My task is to assign spin and parities to different nucleus using the shell model and don´t look up the answers in a formula collection (for the ground states).

First I have Al-27, it consists of 14 neutrons and 13 protons. So all the six 1d(j=5/2) states are occupied for the neutrons and there is no netron above this level. There will exist one gap in the 1d(j=5/2)-level for protons, so I have a "hole" in this level. Hence; my total spinn for the nucleus will be 5/2. And science the hole is in the d-shell; L= 2, so the parity will be: (-1)^(2) = postive.

(5/2)+ is also the correct answer, Iam doing the right procedure?

Second I have K-40, it consists of 19 protons and 21 neutrons. There is one neutron in the 1f(j = 7/2) state and all others are below in filled subshells. There is only three protons in the 1d(j=3/2) state, so there is a "hole" there.
NOW how do I get the parity and spin for this nucleus? :uhh:
(the correct answer is 4- )

I have tried to add the spins of the proton-"hole" and the "valence-neutron", it does not fit to me, what shall I do?

Physics news on Phys.org

your task is to use the shell model to assign spin and parities to different nuclei. This involves understanding the energy levels and occupation of particles within the nucleus. In the first example, Al-27, you correctly identified that all six 1d(j=5/2) states are occupied for the neutrons and there is one "hole" in the 1d(j=5/2) level for protons. This results in a total spin of 5/2 and a parity of positive, as the hole is in the d-shell and L=2.

In the second example, K-40, there are 19 protons and 21 neutrons. One neutron is in the 1f(j=7/2) state, while all others are in filled subshells. There are only three protons in the 1d(j=3/2) state, resulting in a "hole" there. To determine the spin and parity for this nucleus, you can use the following steps:

1. Determine the total spin for the neutron and proton "holes" separately. In this case, the neutron "hole" has a spin of 7/2 and the proton "hole" has a spin of 3/2.

2. Take the difference between the two spins. In this case, 7/2 - 3/2 = 4. This gives you the total spin for the nucleus.

3. To determine the parity, you can use the following formula: (-1)^(L+S), where L is the orbital angular momentum and S is the total spin. In this case, the orbital angular momentum is 2 (since the "hole" is in the d-shell) and the total spin is 4. Therefore, the parity is (-1)^(2+4) = (-1)^6 = positive.

Therefore, the correct answer for the spin and parity of K-40 is 4-.

In conclusion, you are on the right track in using the shell model to determine spin and parities for different nuclei. It is important to carefully consider the occupation of particles in the nucleus and use the correct formulas to determine the spin and parity. Keep up the good work!

1. What is spin and parity in nuclear physics?

Spin and parity are quantum numbers used to describe the intrinsic properties of atomic nuclei. Spin refers to the angular momentum of a nucleus, while parity refers to its spatial symmetry. Spin is denoted as either 1/2 or 0, and parity is denoted as either + or -.

2. How are spin and parity determined for a nucleus?

Spin and parity are determined through experiments such as gamma-ray spectroscopy, where the energy levels of a nucleus are measured. By analyzing the energy levels and transitions, scientists can determine the spin and parity of a nucleus.

3. What is the significance of spin and parity in nuclear physics?

Spin and parity are important for understanding the structure and behavior of atomic nuclei. They can provide insight into the stability and decay processes of a nucleus, as well as its interactions with other particles.

4. Can spin and parity change for a nucleus?

Yes, the spin and parity of a nucleus can change through nuclear reactions or decays. For example, during beta decay, a nucleus can change its spin and parity by emitting a beta particle.

5. How do scientists assign spin and parity to newly discovered nuclei?

Scientists use a variety of methods to assign spin and parity to newly discovered nuclei. This can include theoretical calculations based on the nuclear structure, as well as experimental techniques such as angular distribution measurements or gamma-ray spectroscopy.