1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Assign spin and parities to Nuclues

1. Mar 31, 2007 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My task is to assign spin and parities to different nucleus using the shell model and don´t look up the answers in a formula collection (for the ground states).

First I have Al-27, it consists of 14 neutrons and 13 protons. So all the six 1d(j=5/2) states are occupied for the neutrons and there is no netron above this level. There will exist one gap in the 1d(j=5/2)-level for protons, so I have a "hole" in this level. Hence; my total spinn for the nucleus will be 5/2. And scince the hole is in the d-shell; L= 2, so the parity will be: (-1)^(2) = postive.

(5/2)+ is also the correct answer, Iam doing the right procedure?

Second I have K-40, it consists of 19 protons and 21 neutrons. There is one neutron in the 1f(j = 7/2) state and all others are below in filled subshells. There is only three protons in the 1d(j=3/2) state, so there is a "hole" there.
    NOW how do I get the parity and spin for this nucleus? :uhh:
    (the correct answer is 4- )

I have tried to add the spins of the proton-"hole" and the "valence-neutron", it does not fit to me, what shall I do?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?