1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single particle shell model for nucleus

1. Apr 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Predict the ground state spin and parity for [itex]^{7}_{3}Li[/itex], [itex]^{15}_{7}N[/itex]. [itex]^{31}_{15}P[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

Fill up shells for neutrons and protons separately.
    Shells in increasing energy are: [itex]1S_{1/2}[/itex], [itex]1P_{3/2}[/itex], [itex]1P_{1/2}[/itex], [itex]1S_{1/2}[/itex], [itex]1D_{5/2}[/itex], [itex]1D_{3/2}[/itex]
    and have occupancies: 2, 4, 2, 6, 4, 8, 6

A missing proton is a hole with parity -1.
    An unpaired neutron has parity +1.

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]^{7}_{3}Li[/itex]: We have odd protons so only interested in this. [itex]1S_{1/2}[/itex] fills up. Then only one proton out of four sits in [itex]1P_{3/2}[/itex]. It has j = 3/2 and parity -1.

[itex]^{15}_{7}N[/itex]: We are interested in the 7 protons. We will be left with one hole in [itex]1P_{1/2}[/itex] so it has j = 1/2 and parity -1.

[itex]^{31}_{15}P[/itex]: We are interested in the 15 protons. We fill up 2, 4, 2, 6 and then are left with 1 out of 4 in [itex]1D_{3/2}[/itex]. This unpaired proton should have spin 3/2 and parity -1 if I use my same method.
    However the answer given is that the unpaired proton sits in the [itex]2S_{1/2}[/itex] so has spin
    1/2 and parity +1. How am I to know that jumping up to 2S is more favourable than carrying on through the 1X's? Why is the parity now +1. Does it flip when you jump from 1X to 2X?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you check your list ? there are 6 shells with ##1S_{1/2}## appearing twice (I take it the second should be ##2S_{1/2}## ?) and there are 7 occupancies, with unlikely values. I would expect something like 2,4,2,2,6,4 but that still brings you to ##1D_{5/2}## with P, so it looks as if the ##2S_{1/2}## sits between ##1D_{5/2}## and ##1D_{3/2}## , which isn't impossible. See http://jol.liljenzin.se/KAPITEL/CH11NY3.PDF 310-313

4. Apr 3, 2014 #3
    Sorry for sloppy post, and also you are right about the ordering. Let me write it out correctly.

5. Apr 3, 2014 #4
    [itex]^{31}_{15}P[/itex]: We are interested in the 15 protons. We fill up 2, 4, 2, 6 and then are left with 1 out of 2 in [itex]2S_{1/2}[/itex]. The hole should have spin 1/2 as given in solution.

Regarding the parity, does it flip when we jump up an energy level. (Going from [itex]1S_{1/2}[/itex] to [itex]2S_{1/2}[/itex] is jumping up an energy level right? Increasing the quantum number n.)

6. Apr 4, 2014 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't really know much about parity and I don't understand the "a missing proton is a hole with parity -1".

As far as I know parity depends on angular momentum L as (-1)L and the primary quantum number n doesn't appear. S states are L=0 states, so definitely even parity: there is no ##\theta,\, \phi## dependence.

7. Apr 4, 2014 #6
    I found this on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_shell_model#Other_properties_of_nuclei.

"All protons in the same level (n) have the same parity (either +1 or −1), and since the parity of a pair of particles is the product of their parities, an even number of protons from the same level (n) will have +1 parity"

Although it doesn't state it explicitly this suggests that the parity does switch as you move up n.

8. Apr 5, 2014 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not buying it. The whole S, P, D thing comes from splitting the r dependency in the wavefunction from the ##\theta, \phi## dependence. n has to do with the r (##|\vec r|##) dependence -- even parity, period. Proton itself has intrinsic party +1 (definition). Odd parity can come from l and m and it turns out p = (-1)l.

Wikipedia isn't always right. I'm not always right either, so if someone could set this straight, I'd be grateful.

9. Apr 5, 2014 #8
    Yes, the missing proton is a hole with parity -1 is the problem statement here I think. I read this out of context and it doesn't help.

I've learned one should just think in terms of unpaired protons in terms of holes. So the parity is simply +1 as it is in an l = 0 shell and the unpaired proton has +1 parity.

I get it now. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted