Assignment on the tight binding model

In summary, the tight binding model is a mathematical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the electronic structure of crystalline solids. It is used in research to understand the electronic properties of materials and can be applied to predict their behavior under different conditions. However, it has limitations such as assuming a perfect crystal lattice and not accounting for electron-electron interactions. It differs from other models by considering the specific atomic structure of a material. It is most applicable to materials with a well-defined crystalline structure and may not be as accurate for more complex materials.
Satana
Summary:: Due tight-binding model I derived the energy spectrum of the particle, showing that it comprises three energy bands E+(k), E−(k) and E0(k)=0. Now, I have to find the dispersion laws. Why do I have a flat energy band? What is its physical significance?. Also, what happens to the particle to t→∞ if the state at t=0 is in a generic site Ψ(0)=|βm>?

1604509941662.png

ivfrb.png
aUni0.png

Physics news on Phys.org
##E_0(k)=0 ; E_{\pm}(k)=-Jcos(ka){\pm}\sqrt{J^2cos^2(ka)+g_c^2+g_b^2}##
These are the energy bands that I found.

1. What is the tight binding model?

The tight binding model is a simplified approach used in solid state physics to describe the electronic structure of a crystal. It assumes that the electrons in a crystal are localized around the atomic cores and interact only with neighboring atoms.

2. How does the tight binding model work?

The tight binding model uses the concept of atomic orbitals to describe the electronic states in a crystal. It considers the overlap between neighboring atomic orbitals and the resulting energy levels to determine the electronic structure of the crystal.

3. What are the limitations of the tight binding model?

The tight binding model is limited in its ability to accurately describe the electronic structure of complex systems. It also does not take into account the effects of electron-electron interactions, which can be significant in certain materials.

4. What are the applications of the tight binding model?

The tight binding model is commonly used in the study of semiconductors, metals, and insulators. It is also used in the development of electronic devices such as transistors and diodes.

5. How is the tight binding model different from other models?

The tight binding model is a more simplified approach compared to other models, such as the nearly-free electron model and the band structure model. It focuses on the localized nature of electrons in a crystal, rather than their delocalized behavior.