Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Associativity of the Killing form

1. Jun 1, 2006 #1
    This came up in an exam on Lie algebras that I had today, and it's been bugging me. How do you prove that

The best I've managed is writing

but I have no idea where to go from there. Hints and/or a complete proof are both appreciated :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2006 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Expand the last commutator and use [itex]\mathrm{Trace} \left( AB \right) = \mathrm{Trace} \left( BA \right)[/itex] on one of the terms.
  4. Jun 2, 2006 #3
    Sure, that's how I would do it if the Lie bracket was defined as a commutator, but it's not in a general Lie algebra.

Oh, hold on... since [tex]\mathrm{ad}:g\to gl(g)[/tex] does that mean that I can expand the product [ad(X),ad(Y)] as a commutator?
  5. Jun 2, 2006 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[ad(X) , ad(Y)] = ad(X)ad(Y) - ad(Y)ad(X),

where the associative products are defined, since ad(X) and ad(Y) are both linear operators on g considered as a vector space.
  6. Jun 3, 2006 #5
    It's annoying that it's that simple but I couldn't do it in the exam. :(

Still, I did much more complicated stuff so hopefully the examiners will assume I just had a dim moment - rather than assuming that I'm dim altogether!
  7. Jun 5, 2006 #6
    I thought I'd post to mention that I had to do this proof (well, variants of it) THREE times in a particle physics exam today, so thanks for clearing it up in my mind - you scored me some marks!

Applied exams are much easier than pure ones.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?