Assumed solution for the Laplace EQUATION?

In summary: So it would be foolish to try and find one just because it is simpler.In summary, the book says that the method of separation of variables is a must when solving the Laplace equation, but they don't assume that the solution looks like v=x+y+z. Instead, they look for a solution of the form X(x)Y(y)Z(z). When performing the \nabla \bullet (\nablaV) operation, the difference is that their assumed solution leads to [1/X(x)]* d2[X(x)]/dx2=-kx2, while what I'm proposing will lead to just d2[X(x)]/dx
johnpjust
Assumed solution for the Laplace EQUATION??

The book I'm using says that the method of separation of variables is a must when solving the Laplace equation. OK, well they ASSUME that the solution looks like

V(x,y,z) = X(x)*Y(y)*Z(z)

but why can't they assume a solution of

V(x,y,z) = X(x) + Y(y) + Z(z) ?

When performing the [itex]\nabla \bullet [/itex]([itex]\nabla[/itex]V) operation, the difference is that their assumed solution leads to [1/X(x)]* d2[X(x)]/dx2 = -kx2, while what I'm proposing will lead to just d2[X(x)]/dx2 = -kx2

Since what I'm proposing is easier, why would that be the one used?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

One of the fundamental properties of the Laplacian is that it is a linear operator. From this a uniqueness theorem for the Poisson equation says that if there is a solution within a domain, that's the only solution. Since the solution found by assuming that it is of the form XYZ satisfies the PDE and BV's, it is ok not to try any other forms. Besides you wouldn't go anywhere if you made the assumtion v=x+y+z because then the gradient would simply get more complicated in that you would have three gradients for each of the functions you decomposed it into.

I appreciate your response, but I'm not going to lie...i can't really follow it.

What is the significance that it is a linear operator?

I assume that the uniqueness theorem only proves true in a finite domain? Which is fine...but just curious because in electromagnetics we apply it to infinitely long/large objects quite frequently for the hypothetical scenarios.

How & why do I decompose the solution?

Thanks!

I'm not too thorough in PDE theory so my reasoning is probably not enough for you or anyone with a penchant for rigor.

Suppose the solution is not unique. Say there are two solutions [tex]V_1[/tex] and [tex]V_2[/tex] which satisfy the PDE. Then so does the difference, [tex] V_1-V_2[/tex] by the property of superposition. This means that [tex]\Delta \left(V_1-V_2\right)=0.[/tex] This means [tex]V_1-V_2=0[/tex] which contradicts the premise that the solution is not unique. Now you know that the separation of variable technique gives you the solution to the PDE. So you don't need to worry about finding any other solutions because there can only be one solution.

BTW, there are many ways of solving the Laplace (potential) equation: Eigenfunction expansions (where SOV comes in), variational techniques, perturbation techniques and Green's functions. I think your book says that SOV is what makes the first technique amenable to the theory of Hilbert spaces.

For questions about uniqueness theorem go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniqueness_theorem_for_Poisson's_equation

Lastly, you decompose the solution because it turns out after some algebraic manipulations that you get constants, lambda_n which are the eigenvalues of the linear system in consideration.

They look for (I would not say "assume") a solution of the form X(x)Y(y)Z(z) rather than X(x)+ Y(y)+ Z(z) because it is much simpler and works for this particular kind of equation. That is known, of course, because people spent a lot of time working on this kind of equation and found that it does!

I prefer "looking for" rather than assuming because, of course, not every problem has such a solution- but any solution can be written as an infinite sum of such solutions.

1. What is the Laplace equation?

The Laplace equation is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between the second partial derivatives of a function. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model steady-state phenomena, such as heat diffusion and electrostatics.

2. What is an assumed solution for the Laplace equation?

An assumed solution for the Laplace equation is a proposed solution that satisfies the equation and its boundary conditions. It is used as a starting point for solving the equation, and can be refined through various techniques, such as separation of variables and the method of images.

3. How is an assumed solution for the Laplace equation determined?

An assumed solution for the Laplace equation is determined by analyzing the boundary conditions of the problem and making educated guesses based on the form of the equation. It may involve using known solutions from similar problems or using symmetry arguments.

4. What are the advantages of using an assumed solution for the Laplace equation?

Using an assumed solution for the Laplace equation can greatly simplify the process of solving the equation. It reduces the problem to finding the appropriate constants or coefficients in the solution, rather than having to solve the entire equation from scratch. This approach is also more general and can be applied to a wide range of problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using an assumed solution for the Laplace equation?

While an assumed solution can be a useful tool for solving the Laplace equation, it may not always yield an exact solution. In some cases, the assumed solution may not be able to satisfy all of the boundary conditions, or it may not accurately capture the behavior of the system. In these cases, more advanced techniques may be necessary to find a more accurate solution.