Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astronomy or Cosmology Christmas gift ideas

1. Dec 8, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a friend asking for ideas for an A or C oriented gift, including things that might be a bit of a scam, like having a star named after you. I know that you can buy land on the moon but that is expensive. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2009 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Star Vistas. It is a wonderful coffee-table book of astrophotography with forwords by Sir Arthur C. Clark, Sir Patrick Moore, and doctor Brian May (yes THAT Brian May). Greg Parker does the imaging and Noel Carboni does the image processing. They are both great guys, and they are tops at what they do. I am a member of a forum on which they give advanced views of their images, even while they are in progress, and their work is incredible.

Edit: They give interesting information about the objects that they image, and they keep the descriptions accurate, but within the reach of laymen.

4. Dec 10, 2009 #3
    anything affordable? =\

5. Dec 10, 2009 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  6. Dec 10, 2009 #5

IMP

7. Dec 10, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Those have been passed along in addition to an offer for land on the moon, for $29 an acre.

8. Dec 11, 2009 #7
    Don't they make some kind of models of planets and stars? That you put together yourself. May be kind of cheesey and childish but I might consider getting something like that for myself. A lot of the stuff seems to be for kids though.

You could also make a t shirt with some relevant slogan and design. Design it yourself or NASA has a space store with some items. You can also buy part of a meteorite from NASA for like $25 I think.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  9. Dec 11, 2009 #8
    I really like these http://www.bathsheba.com/crystal/largescale/ [Broken]. I once saw one of saturn but can't find it now.
    If not then like everyone else has said books or prints are always nice.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Dec 11, 2009 #9
  11. Dec 11, 2009 #10
    HA! I bought all my groomsmen an acre as a present for standing in my wedding with me.

Other ideas:

The Universe (DVD) - From the history channel. I saw the first season for $30 somewhere last weekend.

Celestron SkyMaster Giant 15x70 Binoculars with Tripod Adapter - currently $49.99 ($50 off) at Amazon right now.

Understanding Cosmology (book) - a little book put out by Scientific American I believe. It was accessible at an advanced High school / undergrad level I thought.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook