Astrophysics (comet orbit question)

In summary, comets orbit in space due to the gravitational pull of the Sun, resulting in an elliptical orbit. They have tails because the heat and radiation from the Sun cause the ice and gas on the surface to sublimate, creating a tail of gas and dust particles. The time it takes for a comet to complete one orbit around the Sun varies, with some taking hundreds or even thousands of years. Although comets can collide with other objects in space, the chances are extremely low. Scientists track the orbits of comets using telescopes, computer models, and data on its position and movement, including the gravitational influences of other planets and objects in the solar system.
Radfire

Homework Statement

A comet from the Oort cloud, with perihelion 6AU, is perturbed by Saturn into an
orbit with perihelion 4AU. What is the semi-major axis and eccentricity of the new
orbit?

Homework Equations

Perihelion = a(1-e)

The Attempt at a Solution

hey i could really use some help here, I am been scratching my head for ages now. I know that if I can get either the semi-major axis or the eccentricity then i have the other. Could anybody push me in the right direction please...thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out...Moderator can close thread

1. How do comets orbit in space?

Comets orbit in space due to the gravitational pull of the Sun. As they approach the Sun, they are pulled towards it and increase in speed, then as they move away from the Sun, they slow down. This results in an elliptical orbit around the Sun.

2. Why do comets have tails?

Comets have tails because as they get closer to the Sun, the heat and radiation from the Sun cause the ice and gas on the surface of the comet to sublimate, creating a tail of gas and dust particles that is pushed away from the comet by solar wind.

3. How long does it take for a comet to complete one orbit around the Sun?

The time it takes for a comet to complete one orbit around the Sun varies depending on its orbit. Some comets have very long orbits that can take hundreds or even thousands of years, while others have shorter orbits of only a few years.

4. Can comets collide with other objects in space?

Yes, comets can collide with other objects in space, such as planets or asteroids. However, the chances of a collision are extremely low due to the vastness of space and the relatively small size of comets compared to other objects.

5. How do scientists track the orbits of comets?

Scientists track the orbits of comets using telescopes and computer models. They observe the comet's position and movement over time and use this data to calculate its orbit and predict its future path. They also take into account the gravitational influences of other planets and objects in the solar system.