Space shuttle Atlantis orbit question

In summary, during most of its operational time on a mission, the space shuttle Atlantis follows an essentially circular orbit, and the gravity of the Earth does not do any work on the shuttle because it is moving in a different direction than the force. This is due to the fact that acceleration is irrelevant to work being done. Similarly, the statement that the aurora borealis occurs near the north pole because it is created by Santa Claus is false, even though it is true that the phenomenon occurs near the north pole.
ahrog

Homework Statement

True or False: The space shuttle Atlantis follows an essentially circular obrit for most of it's operational time on a mission. While in orbit, the gravity of the Earth does not do any work on the shuttle because the shuttle is not accelerating.

Homework Equations

W=fd

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this would be false. My answer is that the gravity on Earth does not do any work because the shuttle is moving in a different direction than the force, and it doesn't matter that the shuttle is not accelerating. To have work, the direction moved must be in the same direction as the force. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

Roughly correct. But then why do you think it's false? The proposition is that no work is done and I agree. Why don't you say it's true? (that no work is done).

Thanks!

ahrog, you were correct (and not just roughly) to say "false", and for exactly the reason that you gave. Acceleration is irrelevant to work being done, and, in fact, the space shuttle IS accelerating.

Dick said:
Roughly correct. But then why do you think it's false? The proposition is that no work is done and I agree. Why don't you say it's true? (that no work is done).
"... because it is not accelerating." There was more than one proposition made.

Would you say that, "the arora borealis occurs near the north pole because it is created by santa claus," is a true statement? It is certainly true that the arora borealis occurs near the north pole, but I would still declare this to be a false statement.

Last edited:

turin said:
ahrog, you were correct (and not just roughly) to say "false", and for exactly the reason that you gave. Acceleration is irrelevant to work being done, and, in fact, the space shuttle IS accelerating.

"... because it is not accelerating." There was more than one proposition made.

Would you say that, "the arora borealis occurs near the north pole because it is created by santa claus," is a true statement? It is certainly true that the arora borealis occurs near the north pole, but I would still declare this to be a false statement.

Right! I wasn't paying nearly enough attention to the 'because' part. Thanks for catching that.

1. What is the purpose of the Space Shuttle Atlantis orbit?

The Space Shuttle Atlantis orbit was primarily used for scientific research and experiments in microgravity. It also served as a means of transportation for astronauts and equipment to and from the International Space Station (ISS).

2. How long was the Space Shuttle Atlantis in orbit?

The duration of each Space Shuttle Atlantis mission varied, but on average, it spent about 10-14 days in orbit.

3. How high did the Space Shuttle Atlantis orbit?

The Space Shuttle Atlantis typically orbited at an altitude of about 200-400 miles above the Earth's surface.

4. How fast did the Space Shuttle Atlantis travel in orbit?

The Space Shuttle Atlantis traveled at a speed of approximately 17,500 miles per hour while in orbit.

5. Did the Space Shuttle Atlantis orbit have any risks or challenges?

Yes, there were several risks and challenges associated with the Space Shuttle Atlantis orbit, including the potential for equipment malfunctions, exposure to radiation, and the need for precise calculations and maneuvers for re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere.