At how many rpms will a blade tip break the sound barrier

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
natux
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The windmill is 400 feet tall and each of it's three blades are 130 feet long. At how many rpms will a blade tip break the sound barrier? Speed of sound: 1125ft/sec


Homework Equations


Linear speed: v = rω
Angular speed: ω = Θ/Time


The Attempt at a Solution


1125ft/sec = 130ft(ω)
ω = 1125ft/sec * 1rad/130ft ≈ 9
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the units of the number 9? Are they RPMs like what was requested in the OP?

Hint: RPM usually means 'revolutions per minute'.
 
Sorry, the 9 is in radians per second, but the problem is I get stuck there. I know I need the linear speed...but I don't how to go about doing that in this situation.
 
You have already solved this problem! You are looking for an answer in rpm's. You have a solution in radians per second. There is only a conversion to do from here.
 
natux said:
I know I need the linear speed...but I don't how to go about doing that in this situation.
You already have the linear speed, 1125 ft/sec, as used in your originally posted attempt at a solution.
 
Thanks, I got it figured out, I don't know why this confused me so much...