At what angle does a block tip over given its center of mass position?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
Jaklynn429
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Tipping something given its center of mass? My LAST homework problem!

Homework Statement


A rectangular block of mass 3.0 kg is at rest on a table. Its height (in its current position) is 0.7 m, but because its composition varies vertically, its center of mass is at a height of 0.40 meters. Its width is 0.1 meters in both horizontal directions. At what angle does the block have to be tipped to in order to make it fall over?


Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution


I know that things tip when their center of mass is directly over the normal force. I think I need to make a triangle somehow but the problem has so many weird things in it that I don't know where to begin! Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Jaklynn429 said:

Homework Statement


A rectangular block of mass 3.0 kg is at rest on a table. Its height (in its current position) is 0.7 m, but because its composition varies vertically, its center of mass is at a height of 0.40 meters. Its width is 0.1 meters in both horizontal directions. At what angle does the block have to be tipped to in order to make it fall over?


Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution


I know that things tip when their center of mass is directly over the normal force. I think I need to make a triangle somehow but the problem has so many weird things in it that I don't know where to begin! Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Draw a diagram. When the center of mass is past the edge that you are tipping it about ...

So as you said it's a triangle. What is the angle with the vertical and where the center of mass is relative to the bottom edge.

It's located .4 m up and 1/2 of the width of .1 m over.