At what angle does a skier lose contact with a frictionless snowball?

  • Thread starter Thread starter eil2001
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mystery
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
eil2001
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Ok, here's the question:

A skier starts at the top of a very large frictionless spherical snowball, with a very small initial velocity, and skis straight down the side. At what point does she lose contact with the snowball and fly off at a tangent? That is, at the instant when she loses contact with the snowball, what angle does a radial line from the center of the snowball to the skier make with the vertical?

So, I want to use K_1 + U_1 = K_2 + U_2, but I am confused b/c there are no numbers. The answer is 48.2 degrees, but I don't see how they get this.

Thanks for any help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
when she is about to lose contact, the Normal force is zero. At the top of the cliff the only type of energy is Pot. grav. (mgh), but when she is about to lose contact she has both potential and kinetic energy which their sum is equal to the first mgh.
You should find the angle by computing the second height.
 
At the top of the snowball, isn't there kinetic energy, too, b/c the problem says that the skier starts with a small initial velocity? Or, is that "small" supposed to mean negligible? Also, how do I find the height at which the skier leaves the snowball? I feel like it's something w/angles and sines/cosines, but I'm not sure. Thanks!