Athlon 64 launch on 23rd September and expected price war with Intel

  • Thread starter Thread starter Saint
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
36 replies · 7K views
"2500+" is a "performance rating" meaning it performs about the same as a P4 running at 2.5 ghz. Its a marketing thing since most people only look at the number and don't necessarily understand that that's not the only factor in determining performance. The 2500+ runs at 1.83ghz (variations of a % or 2 are normal).

Virtual memory is what your operating system uses on your hard drive when it runs out of physical memory (ram). Since you have 512MB, it is unlikely that you will ever use much virtual memory (windows always uses a little) so changing the size won't have much effect on your system - it won't be used.


64 bits (I mentioned it in another thread) refers to the size of the numbers or instructions that a computer can handle at one time. One of the main benefits initially is that it breaks the 4 GB memory barrier - 32 bit processing if you do the math (2^32) means you can only address up to 4GB of memory.

As for your freezing problem, hit ctl+alt+del once and click "task manager" then "processes" and it will tell you exactly what programs are using how much of your processor. You may be able to pinpoint (and disable) the one that is messing you up.

512-480=32MB. 32MB is the amount of your system ram being dedicated to your display adapter. Machines without a dedicated video card and its own ram have to steal system memory. Its not a real big deal except that it is considerably slower than dedicated video ram - if you ever get into 3d games, you'll want a stand-alone video card.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for the advice Russ, I tried the taskmanager thing before, but it doesn't tell me much, besides that there are like about 43 processes, practically all not using any CPU. I did notice that a trial version virus scanner seems to overload the system when the fan is on.. I'll just stick with NAV.
 
Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
just wait for Win2004
Ugh that's a scary thought! Gee I wonder how many patches that OS will have. It's all about the Penguin baby! I'm staying under the brim (Redhat 9)
 
I use both and I like both. I like Knoppix STD the best because it is easy to use but it's only a disk. Redhat 9 is staying on my new HD partition. Redhat is good and I can call for help everytime I mess something up. I'm going to try out debian. I have all the disks and a bunch of apps. I just need money for a new HD. I'm going to slap it in my old P3 next week.


I take it you like debian the best?
What are some good linux message boards that you go to for info?

I go to thebroken.org, cyberarmy.com, and
linuxforum.com

I'm still a noob to linux but I'm a fast learner. I want to be able to break free from windows completely sometime soon.
 
oh, c'mon people...
let's take over windows first and then we'll fight about what linux is the best...
 
Actualy I use Redhat. I've been using it since version 4.2 (May 1997). I've just recently gotten into debian and like the fact that it is very pure.

I usually get my info from mailing lists and newsgroups. I'm sometimes on the kde irc channel. I do quite a bit of development under kdevelop. I've recently been doing some web development with php on my apache webserver. I'm also part of the linux user group.