ATI Radeon 2900 XT No input detected

• Thread starter sanitykey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Input
In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with an ATI Radeon 2900 XT graphics card not sending input to the monitor. The problem started with occasional input loss during gameplay and eventually progressed to a complete loss of input. The monitor and its connections appear to be fine, and there are concerns about potential causes of failure and the possibility of repairing the card. There is also mention of potentially needing a new motherboard.
sanitykey
ATI Radeon 2900 XT "No input detected"

My ATI Radeon 2900 XT 1GB will not send input to the monitor on booting the computer, but this was not always the case.

The first sign of trouble came about a month ago when I was playing Left 4 Dead, the input to the screen went off as the map was loading giving the "No input detected". At the time I was also on Ventrilo, I could still hear my friends speaking but their voices were choppy and slowed. Ctrl + Alt + Del didn't help and the only option was a cold reset which restored input on bootup. The problem continued for the next few months happening at the same point (loading a map in Left 4 Dead) but rarely. I thought it could of been to do with the drivers so I made sure I had the latest (at the time) 8.12 drivers. The problem still continued, so I got the hotfix for Vista 64 systems. The problem eventually started to happen more frequently and at different points (on the main menu in Left 4 Dead, during gameplay) even in different games (Jedi Knight Academy).

Finally on that fateful day I was talking to my friends on Ventrilo and was about to have a game of Left 4 Dead so i started the game up (after a long period of inactivity for my computer as I was doing work) and a couple of seconds later the input went off. After restarting the monitor simply refused to turn on.

The monitor and its connections seem to be fine (using it with another computer now), also on a couple of boot ups I heard a beep sequence (ASUS BIOS) of 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps which I've read is the video card being misfitted or bad video memory. I've tried refitting the card but that hasn't solved the problem it seems.

I don't think the card overheated because, there was no screen corruption before or after the input stopped, there was no physical indications of burning (the card didn't feel hot, no burning smell, no visual melting), the card was under virtually no stress when it stopped working and the fact that this seems to have been a gradual process (I'd lost the input before although only temporarily).

But what do you guys think? I'm hoping there's a chance the card could be easily repaired if it hasn't melted but I have no idea what could be wrong with it (the fans on the card still work too). Unfortunately I have no other computers I can test the card in (no PCI-E slots). I read even with faulty drivers you should get input on initial bootup because the card doesn't use the drivers at that point?

Any help would be appreciated thanks (and thanks for reading).

Richy

Computer science news on Phys.org

It may not be the video card, it may be that you require a new motherboard.

That would be somewhat catastrophic! :S I suppose the computer could still make a beep code even if the motherboard was broke?

If we assume it is the graphics card and it hasn't melted:

What are the other most probable causes of failure in these circumstances?
How easy are they to repair?
If they can be repaired is it worth it?

I'll be able to test if it is the graphics card in a few days but until then I'm just wondering if there's any way to salvage this card if it is broken.

1. What does "ATI Radeon 2900 XT No input detected" mean?

This message typically appears when there is an issue with the display connection between the ATI Radeon 2900 XT graphics card and the monitor. It means that the graphics card is not receiving a signal from the monitor, and therefore cannot display anything on the screen.

2. How can I fix the "ATI Radeon 2900 XT No input detected" error?

There are a few potential solutions for this error. First, make sure that the monitor is properly connected to the graphics card and that the cables are securely plugged in. If that doesn't work, try updating the drivers for the graphics card. You can also try swapping out the monitor or graphics card to see if that resolves the issue.

3. Can a faulty graphics card cause the "ATI Radeon 2900 XT No input detected" error?

Yes, a faulty graphics card can certainly cause this error. If the graphics card is damaged or malfunctioning, it may not be able to receive a signal from the monitor, resulting in the "No input detected" message. In this case, the graphics card may need to be replaced.

4. Is the "ATI Radeon 2900 XT No input detected" error common?

This error is not very common, but it can occur for a variety of reasons. It may be due to a loose connection, outdated drivers, or a faulty graphics card. However, with proper troubleshooting, it can usually be resolved.

5. Can I still use my computer if I see the "ATI Radeon 2900 XT No input detected" error?

In most cases, no. If the graphics card is not receiving a signal from the monitor, it will not be able to display anything on the screen. However, if you have multiple graphics cards or integrated graphics, you may be able to use your computer with a different display option until the issue is resolved.