Atmospheric pressure inside a protoplanetary disc

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a human presence in a protoplanetary disk and whether there is a place where the gas pressure and temperature would be survivable. It is mentioned that the disks are extremely rarefied and that the central part is always hot and luminous. The question is also raised about the potential for life-sustaining conditions in a hydrogen/helium atmosphere. Ultimately, it is concluded that there is still room for imagination and creative storytelling in this area due to the limited knowledge we have about protoplanetary disks.
Galexy
Summary:: Could there be a place in a newly forming protoplanetary disc where the gas pressure and temperature would be anywhere close to survivable? I am writing a fiction story that takes place there, and I want to know how far from reality this premise would be.

When a protoplanetary disc is forming, presumably there would be a level where the gas (hydrogen/helium) pressure reaches about one bar. The question is; would this level inevitably be to hot (or cold) to accommodate a human presence? I have read through as many related astronomy research papers as I can find and have not come anywhere near answering this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Regardless of pressure, do you consider hydrogen/helium to be a life sustaining atmosphere?

Likes russ_watters
The disks are extremely rarefied. As far as I understand, sufficiently so that their modelling can assume no effective pressure. Take a look at fig.5 here: https://astro.caltech.edu/~lah/review/protoplanetary_disk_theory.armitage.pdf

It estimates temperature vs density conditions in a disk around a young main sequence star (I.e. after it has ignited fusion, which means it's >less< luminous than during earlier stages). The blue line is for the densest, central plane.

For Earth-like 1 bar conditions you're looking for around 300 on the temperature scale, and around 10E-3 on the density scale. From the ideal gas law it follows that you can keep the same pressure by trading an order of magnitude of density for an order of magnitude of temperature. The graph suggests that you don't reach 1 bar until you are effectively well within the star.

Galexy said:
I want to know how far from reality this premise would be.
Are you writing a really hard sci-fi novel, @Galexy? It can be hard to write an engaging story if you are focused on describing accurate physics, and given our knowledge of forming protoplanetary discs, you can bend events and circumstances in whatever way you like. Esp. as your story either involves aliens or us in the far future, because we're not getting anywhere a forming protoplanetary disc without new physics or a radical technology overhaul.

anorlunda said:
Regardless of pressure, do you consider hydrogen/helium to be a life sustaining atmosphere?
When I say "human presence" I don't mean completely unprotected (although my story characters happen to be naked, except for oxygen masks). LOL

Bandersnatch said:
The disks are extremely rarefied. As far as I understand, sufficiently so that their modelling can assume no effective pressure. Take a look at fig.5 here: https://astro.caltech.edu/~lah/review/protoplanetary_disk_theory.armitage.pdf

It estimates temperature vs density conditions in a disk around a young main sequence star (I.e. after it has ignited fusion, which means it's >less< luminous than during earlier stages). The blue line is for the densest, central plane.

For Earth-like 1 bar conditions you're looking for around 300 on the temperature scale, and around 10E-3 on the density scale. From the ideal gas law it follows that you can keep the same pressure by trading an order of magnitude of density for an order of magnitude of temperature. The graph suggests that you don't reach 1 bar until you are effectively well within the star.
Thank you very much for your reply. In my story, I was assuming that the protoplanetary disk had not compressed to the extent that nuclear ignition had taken place. So little is known about the interior of such a beast that I figured I had lots of room to exercise my imagination. If the conditions are really as rarified as the graph indicates, I may have to think of a special case that makes the premise work. Thanks again!

Just to clarify the point about fusion ignition - it might be tempting to play with the idea that before the star ignites there are somewhat more balmy conditions in the centre of the cloud. But there aren't. The gas heats up as it falls down the gravity well, and it has to radiate all that energy to keep contracting. The effect is that the central part of the disk is always hot and luminous, even if the conditions for fusion are not there yet in the initial stages.

1. What is atmospheric pressure inside a protoplanetary disc?

The atmospheric pressure inside a protoplanetary disc refers to the force exerted by the gas and dust particles in the disc on its surrounding environment. It is a measure of the density and temperature of the gas and dust within the disc.

2. How does atmospheric pressure affect the formation of planets?

Atmospheric pressure plays a crucial role in the formation of planets within a protoplanetary disc. It helps to regulate the temperature and distribution of materials, which are necessary for the formation of planetary cores and atmospheres. High atmospheric pressure can also lead to the rapid growth of planets, while low pressure can result in slower growth or even hinder the formation of planets.

3. How is atmospheric pressure measured in a protoplanetary disc?

Atmospheric pressure in a protoplanetary disc is typically measured using telescopes and other observational tools. Scientists can also use computer simulations to estimate the pressure based on the disc's temperature and density profiles.

4. What factors can influence the atmospheric pressure in a protoplanetary disc?

The atmospheric pressure in a protoplanetary disc can be influenced by various factors, such as the disc's size, density, temperature, and composition. The presence of a nearby star or other objects can also impact the pressure within the disc.

5. How does atmospheric pressure change over time in a protoplanetary disc?

The atmospheric pressure in a protoplanetary disc can change over time as the disc evolves. As the disc cools and the gas and dust particles condense, the pressure decreases. Additionally, the formation of planets and other objects can also alter the pressure distribution within the disc.