1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic Physics: Quantization axis

1. Jul 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi

I have a question - it is not homework, but something I have thought about for a long time. I really can't come up with a solution to the problem, and it is driving me crazy. Here is the problem:

Say I have a linearly polarized monochromatic wave incident on an atom. The k-vector and the E-vector of the light form a right angle. Now say I apply a magnetic field, but such that it is perpendicular to both k and E. My problem is that I don't know what transition will be driven in the atom.

The B-field defines the quantization axis. But somehow I need to decompose the E-field such that it points along B. What is the strategy for doing this?

I would be very happy to get some feedback/hints.

Best,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2012 #2
    What you described above is Voigt configuration. In your case when magnetic field is perpendicular to the electric vector and k- vector of a light, the total angular momentum Mj=±1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook