Attachments: Member login req'd to view

• Thread starter TumblingDice
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the issue of attachments not being visible to non-members on the Physics Forums website. The OP had shared a photo of Browser in a contest but it could only be seen by members. Borek and ZapperZ were not aware of this issue but it was later discovered that it affected all attachments on the site. The attachment system requires a login to access usergroup permissions, making it difficult for non-members to view attachments. Suggestions were made to add a warning about this restriction in the Attachment dialog.
TumblingDice
Gold Member
I spoke with ZapperZ and Borek earlier today, wanting to share the "It's Good to be Back!" contest results with family in Grand Rapids area. My photo of Browser was added as attachment after PF4 migration. It will not display at all unless logged in as a member (just the 'X' in-a-box):
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pf-photo-contest-winners.121165/page-19#post-4871348

Borek didn't think it could be changed, but he also wasn't aware of the display requiring member login.

I told ZZ and Borek no big deal - I could send pic to family, but later I began to wonder if this affected all attachments. So I started searching as a lurker. o_O The first attachments I found are in a thread create since PF4 migration, here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/condition-for-a-table-to-flip.773529/

The OP included attachments in posts #1 and #4. These figures display as thumbnails in the lower attachments area - trying to open them to view results in a page requiring the user to login to complete the action.

Physics news on Phys.org
TumblingDice said:
Borek didn't think it could be changed, but he also wasn't aware of the display requiring member login.
The attachment system needs to access usergroup permissions which requires a login. Image bbcode using attachment URLs are problematic.

Gotcha'. Could a short warning be added to the Attachment dialog about the restriction? Is that even a good idea?

1. What does "Member login req'd to view" mean?

"Member login req'd to view" means that in order to access or view the attachments, you must have a registered account and be logged in. This is often used as a security measure to protect sensitive or private information.

2. How do I become a member and login to view the attachments?

To become a member and login to view the attachments, you will need to follow the registration process provided by the organization or website hosting the attachments. This typically involves creating a username and password and providing some personal information.

3. Can I still access the attachments if I am not a member?

No, if the attachments require a member login to view, you will not be able to access them unless you become a member and login. Some organizations may have certain attachments that are accessible to non-members, but this would be specified separately.

4. Why do some attachments require a member login to view?

This is often done for security reasons to ensure that only authorized individuals have access to the attachments. It may also be used to track who has viewed the attachments for record-keeping purposes.

5. Is it safe to provide personal information for a member login to view attachments?

This depends on the organization or website hosting the attachments. It is important to make sure the website has proper security measures in place, such as encryption, to protect your personal information. It is also recommended to use a strong, unique password for your account.