Aug 21st, 2017, a total solar eclipse will cross the US

In summary, the conversation is discussing a total solar eclipse that will be visible in the United States in 2017, passing through Oregon and South Carolina. Some members are making plans to travel or host viewing parties. Borek's wife, Marzena, is mentioned multiple times as being excited for the event. Some members reminisce about past eclipses they have seen. The conversation also briefly mentions a previous eclipse in 1979 and the possibility of looking up past eclipses at specific locations.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
wohooo! (though i don't live in US i can see new pics)
I was planning to visit sometime then anyway!

Yeah, but the world's going to end in 2012

aww... I want to live longer...

Office_Shredder said:

The Chosen Ones will still be able to view it. Those not chosen may wish to ignore this thread. We will miss you.

Office_Shredder said:

They will just stop it for maintenance and rerun the simulation again.

Alright, let's stay on topic. :biggrin:

^ that's better!

the perfect time to attack the fire nation

Wow, I'm in Memphis, I'll have to drive out to the GE point!

Can someone post a link to the path?

that's what Ivan did .. up there..

I've never seen the sun during a total eclipse, but then neither has anyone else. I will get myself to TN for this. Everyone, for viewing safety, bring spf70 sun screen.

LOL, Evo will be able to see it from her backyard. Well, almost from her backyard, she lives about 15 miles south from the border of the total eclipse visibility.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
And goes directly through Oregon.

And through South Carolina. I'll be in the totality zone, with the centerline passing about 12 miles from here. Maybe I'll host a PF eclipse party. :cool:

We have been discussing the previous eclipse in that Saros cycle here.

I see that I never answered rewebster. No I did not get any pictures. You should not bother with trying to get pictures of the event itself, there will be millions of pictures anyway. Just watch and enjoy.

Cool! I have always wanted to see one, but I'm always in the wrong part of the world :( I think in 2017 I'll no longer be in the U.S.
*Checks to see where and when other total solar eclipses are happening*

With my luck, I'll travel to see it, only for it to be raining that day.

Am I the only one who initially read the title as "solar flare"? I need to wake up.

Marzena is booking plane for 2017.

Borek said:

Now there's a woman who plan ahead! :approve:

Borek said:

Step 1: Determine which airlines will be operating in 2017.

All right, a second chance! My first was in February of '79, when the center point of the eclipse was just a few miles from my home. Unfortunately, It was overcast( a good bet for Oregon in February).

August should be a better chance for clear skies. I'll have to drive a few miles South, but who cares?

Janus said:
All right, a second chance! My first was in February of '79, when the center point of the eclipse was just a few miles from my home. Unfortunately, It was overcast( a good bet for Oregon in February).

August should be a better chance for clear skies. I'll have to drive a few miles South, but who cares?

I remember that one! We had clear skies, but we were 500 miles South of you at the time.

This is the second time I've seen Marzena mentioned here. Google gave many Marzenas. Which one is the popular girl here?

Newai said:
This is the second time I've seen Marzena mentioned here. Google gave many Marzenas. Which one is the popular girl here?

Borek's wife. :smile:

Ivan Seeking said:
I remember that one! We had clear skies, but we were 500 miles South of you at the time.

I remember having a friend driving West along US-30 chasing the one gap in the clouds, while I hung out the window snapping pictures. Sadly, the gap closed up before totality (the highway turned south also, so we would have probably lost it anyway).

Janus said:
All right, a second chance! My first was in February of '79...

Is there any way to put in coordinates someplace and have a calculator tell you which eclipses which have graced that spot and when? I think I may have gone through two as a child that were never announced.

In '79 I had to drive 30mi North it get into totality, now it looks like I will just have to step outside. As with Janus there was complete cloud cover so we got to experience the darkness of totality but saw nothing but clouds.

Borek said:
LOL, Evo will be able to see it from her backyard. Well, almost from her backyard, she lives about 15 miles south from the border of the total eclipse visibility.
It will be my second total eclipse, I saw one in Houston when I was a child.

1. What is a total solar eclipse?

A total solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the sun and the Earth, blocking the sun's light and casting a shadow on the Earth. This causes the sky to become dark and allows us to see the sun's corona, or outer atmosphere.

2. Why is the total solar eclipse on Aug 21st, 2017 significant?

This total solar eclipse is significant because it will be visible across the entire continental United States, which hasn't happened since 1918. It will also be the first total solar eclipse to be visible from coast to coast in the US in over 99 years.

3. What areas of the US will be able to see the total solar eclipse?

The total solar eclipse will be visible in a path that stretches from Oregon to South Carolina, passing through states such as Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, and Tennessee. Some areas outside of this path will still be able to see a partial eclipse.

4. How long will the total solar eclipse last?

The total solar eclipse will last for approximately 2 minutes and 40 seconds in the areas where it is visible. However, the entire event, including the partial eclipse, will last for several hours.

5. Is it safe to look at the total solar eclipse?

No, it is not safe to look directly at the total solar eclipse without proper eye protection. The sun's rays can cause permanent damage to your eyes. It is important to use special eclipse glasses or other certified solar viewers to safely view the eclipse.