Auto shutdown problem in automobile(motorcycle)

• Thread starter jack001
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have a doubt regarding automobile like bikes.
While driving, on applying clutch, (sometimes) the engine gets shutdown automatically(may be you might have experienced or noticed somewhere). So what might be the reason behind this. Please give your suggestion.
Thank you.

Answers and Replies

jack action
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
You might have a problem with your kick stand cut off switch. This switch cuts off the engine when you put your transmission in gear while the kickstand is down. A faulty switch (or loose kickstand) may open the electrical circuit shutting off the engine.

hmmm might be. But this basically happens with almost all motorcycle and specially in winter season. May be the reason is related to heat in cylinder.. Why do we apply choke? To inject high proportion of charge in it. But after than what? So is there any relation between clutch and fuel supply?

jack action
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Why do we apply choke?
During cold starting, additional fuel is necessary to compensate for the large proportion of fuel which is not able to atomize and therefore will not remain suspended in the cold slow moving air stream when the engine is being cranked. This fuel spreads around the cold intake walls, collects together and form large liquid droplets unsuitable for efficient burning.

The choke improves atomization by increasing the air stream velocity and the increased depression forces more fuel to mix with the air which compensates for the leaner mixture created by the «lost» fuel on the intake walls. Once the engine is hot, the fuel droplets on the intake walls tend to vaporize, hence going back into the air stream.

So is there any relation between clutch and fuel supply?
Not that I can't think of. It is more of a proper matching of engine and transmission RPM and, preferably, keep a constant engine power during the shifting process.

ok thanx buddy.. & can you explain me six stroke engine? Just give me line diagram of engine. That would be enough for me to understand.

jack action
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-stroke_engine" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: