Auto shutdown problem in automobile(motorcycle)

• Thread starter jack001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Auto
In summary, the problem with automatic shutdown of the engine may be due to a faulty kickstand switch or loose kickstand. Choking the engine during cold starting helps to increase atomization and improve the air/fuel mixture.
jack001
I have a doubt regarding automobile like bikes.
While driving, on applying clutch, (sometimes) the engine gets shutdown automatically(may be you might have experienced or noticed somewhere). So what might be the reason behind this. Please give your suggestion.
Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might have a problem with your kick stand cut off switch. This switch cuts off the engine when you put your transmission in gear while the kickstand is down. A faulty switch (or loose kickstand) may open the electrical circuit shutting off the engine.

hmmm might be. But this basically happens with almost all motorcycle and specially in winter season. May be the reason is related to heat in cylinder.. Why do we apply choke? To inject high proportion of charge in it. But after than what? So is there any relation between clutch and fuel supply?

jack001 said:
Why do we apply choke?

During cold starting, additional fuel is necessary to compensate for the large proportion of fuel which is not able to atomize and therefore will not remain suspended in the cold slow moving air stream when the engine is being cranked. This fuel spreads around the cold intake walls, collects together and form large liquid droplets unsuitable for efficient burning.

The choke improves atomization by increasing the air stream velocity and the increased depression forces more fuel to mix with the air which compensates for the leaner mixture created by the «lost» fuel on the intake walls. Once the engine is hot, the fuel droplets on the intake walls tend to vaporize, hence going back into the air stream.

jack001 said:
So is there any relation between clutch and fuel supply?

Not that I can't think of. It is more of a proper matching of engine and transmission RPM and, preferably, keep a constant engine power during the shifting process.

ok thanks buddy.. & can you explain me six stroke engine? Just give me line diagram of engine. That would be enough for me to understand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-stroke_engine" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an auto shutdown problem in automobiles/motorcycles?

An auto shutdown problem in automobiles/motorcycles refers to a situation where the vehicle suddenly shuts down or stops running while in use. This can happen for various reasons, such as a faulty component, electrical issues, or engine malfunction.

2. What are the common causes of auto shutdown problems in automobiles/motorcycles?

Some of the common causes of auto shutdown problems in automobiles/motorcycles include a malfunctioning fuel pump, faulty ignition switch, faulty sensors, clogged fuel filter, or a dead battery. It can also be caused by overheating of the engine or a damaged alternator.

3. How can I diagnose an auto shutdown problem in my automobile/motorcycle?

To diagnose an auto shutdown problem, you can start by checking the battery and electrical connections for any loose or corroded wires. You can also check the fuel system for any clogs or leaks. If the issue persists, it is best to take your vehicle to a trusted mechanic who can run a diagnostic test to pinpoint the exact cause of the problem.

4. Can an auto shutdown problem be prevented?

In most cases, an auto shutdown problem can be prevented by regular maintenance and timely repairs. It is essential to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and address any warning signs or issues promptly. Keeping your vehicle's electrical system and fuel system in good condition can also prevent auto shutdown problems.

5. How can I fix an auto shutdown problem in my automobile/motorcycle?

The solution to an auto shutdown problem depends on the specific cause of the issue. In some cases, it may be a simple fix, such as replacing a faulty fuse or sensor. However, more complex problems may require professional attention and repair. It is best to consult a certified mechanic for an accurate diagnosis and proper repair of the auto shutdown problem.