Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automagically generated smilies

1. Nov 17, 2014 #1

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A colon followed by a lower case s automagically results in a sad-faced smiley: :s .This means when someone types "std :: string" without the spaces (which is the canonical way to type that), they will get this: std::string.

I don't know what the solution is, but this bites when it comes to computer code.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2014 #2
    We can change that

4. Nov 17, 2014 #3

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

There are a few other funny cases as well - for example, a simple smiley :) morphs into the jaw-drop smiley if you happen to put it at the end of a naturally parenthesized expression (such as this one:))

I doubt there is any easy fix for that one, as the three-character sequence is genuinely ambiguous

5. Nov 17, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Maybe make it so that BBcode stuff inside [ code ] tags is ignored.

A different problem comes with C code that has arrays indexed by a variable i. The BBCode parsing turns the bracketed index in a[ i ] into the leading italics tag, and generally screws things up. I had to insert extra spaces here to keep this from happening.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook