Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compiler error do to too much "constness" in my C++ program?

1. Nov 16, 2014 #1
    Can someone try compiler this and tell me what error you get and what it means? https://github.com/jamkin/CSS-Template-Generator/tree/master/CSS%20Template%20Generator [Broken]

I get
    Mod note: Removed the [ I ] tags and the [ color ] BBCode tags, and replaced with [ code ] tags. There were too many emoticons to be able to read the error messages. The error messages are now readable, but some characters seem to have been removed.
    Code (Text):
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/map:614:15: In instantiation of member function 'std::__1::pair<const std::__1::basic_string<char>, std::__1::basic_string<char> >::eek:perator=' requested here
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/__tree:1223:35: In instantiation of member function 'std::__1::__value_type<const std::__1::basic_string<char>, std::__1::basic_string<char> >::eek:perator=' requested here
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/map:941:21: In instantiation of function template specialization 'std::__1::__tree<std::__1::__value_type<const std::__1::basic_string<char>, std::__1::basic_string<char> >, std::__1::__map_value_compare<const std::__1::basic_string<char>, std::__1::__value_type<const std::__1::basic_string<char>, std::__1::basic_string<char> >, std::__1::less<const std::__1::basic_string<char> >, true>, std::__1::allocator<std::__1::__value_type<const std::__1::basic_string<char>, std::__1::basic_string<char> > > >::__assign_unique<const std::__1::pair<const std::__1::basic_string<char>, std::__1::basic_string<char> > *>' requested here
    /Users/me/Documents/CSS Template Generator/CSS Template Generator/ProgramDriver.cpp:35:20: In instantiation of member function 'std::__1::map<const std::__1::basic_string<char>, std::__1::basic_string<char>, std::__1::less<const std::__1::basic_string<char> >, std::__1::allocator<std::__1::pair<const std::__1::basic_string<char>, std::__1::basic_string<char> > > >::eek:perator=' requested here
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/string:1330:19: Candidate function not viable: 'this' argument has type 'const std::__1::basic_string<char>', but method is not marked const
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/string:1333:19: Candidate function not viable: 'this' argument has type 'const std::__1::basic_string<char>', but method is not marked const
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/string:1337:45: Candidate function not viable: 'this' argument has type 'const std::__1::basic_string<char>', but method is not marked const
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/string:1338:19: Candidate function not viable: 'this' argument has type 'const std::__1::basic_string<char>', but method is not marked const
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/string:1341:19: Candidate function not viable: 'this' argument has type 'const std::__1::basic_string<char>', but method is not marked const

and it's pointing to the following chunk in the <utility> file.

Code (Text):

_LIBCPP_INLINE_VISIBILITY

pair&

operator=(pair&& __p) _NOEXCEPT_(is_nothrow_move_assignable<first_type>::value &&

is_nothrow_move_assignable<second_type>::value)

{

first = _VSTD::forward<first_type>(__p.first); // <-------------- This line

second = _VSTD::forward<second_type>(__p.second);

return *this;

}

I asked on Stack Overflow and someone said I was using too much const in my program.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2014 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are violating the Rule of Three. You have defined a destructor for many of your classes. The rule of three suggests that you should also be defining a copy constructor and copy assignment operator.

An even bigger problem, at least with regard to compilation, is that you are defining a default constructor for many of your classes. Once you do this, the compiler cannot and must not define a copy constructor or copy assignment operator for you. You must write your own copy constructor and/or copy assignment operator if you want to have a custom default constructor and if you want make copies. You are making copies via your use of iterators, so your code fails.

4. Nov 17, 2014 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

It looks like the C++ compiler is recursing through the operator definition with no end in sight and so fails compilation after getting too deep.

Kind of like defining factorial as:

Code (Text):

int factorial(int n) {
        if (n<1) return 1;
        return n*factorial(n);      // NOTICE: should be factorial(n-1) not factorial(n)
    }

Running this code you'd get: factorial(5) -- > 5*5*5*...*factorial(5)...

So check your operator definition and see if that maybe you are doing the same kind of thing ie defining it in terms of itself.

5. Nov 17, 2014 #4
    Thank you for your answer. Since 2 of my 3 destructors are trivial, would not defining them reduce the problems at hand?

6. Nov 17, 2014 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Upon looking at your code in more detail, this is what I see:
    • It's not C++98/03-complaint. You are using (trying to use) braced initialization, something C++98/03 doesn't do all that well. I thought you wanted to learn C++98/03 first!
    • Your code is inconsistent. You are using a set of strings in one place, a vector of strings in another. That mixing and matching will never work.
    • You have too many default constructors and destructors that would best be left undefined (C++98/03) or declared as default (C++11).
    • As noted in the opening post, you are putting too much const into your code.
    The last item could perhaps be viewed as a bug in the language. There's no way to change the key in a map or a set. The language makes sure you can't. (A user of a map or set could destroy the integrity of the container if this was allowed. So it isn't allowed.) There's no reason to make the key const because it essentially is const whether or not you declare it as such. Even though the distinction doesn't matter, the language unfortunately does distinguish between std :: set <std :: string > and std :: set < const std :: string >. This is a distinction that shouldn't matter, but it does. This is part of what is getting you in trouble.

7. Nov 18, 2014 #6
    The absence of brace initialization is the 1 thing I know C++11 has that I think C++98 should have (since it has brace initialization for structs, and since it's an extraneous amount of code to initialize vecs/sets/etc. otherwise).

The reason I have a set of strings is because that's an instance in which I don't need any repeated elements.

I must've totally misunderstood the "spirit" of C++, because I thought the idea was to always use const when a variable is intended to never change. At least from the book I read (C++ Primer Plus, 6th Edition) I got the impression that whenever you need a variable, you ask yourself

• Is this variable ever going to change?
    • Is its address ever going to change?
    • If it's a parameter to a function, do I want to bring in the actual variable or a copy of it?
    • Etc.
    I've heard Bjarne Stroustrup say we do all this fancy stuff to "help the compiler."

Anyways, if I have time today then I'll go back and rid my code of the constness and follow the Rule of 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook