Automatic Painter: Is It Feasible?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Automatic
In summary, the conversation discusses the feasibility of a roller system that uses a motor to move a sprayer along a track at a constant pace to paint walls. Some potential issues mentioned include the need to redesign the roller system and clean the nozzles between coats, as well as political and practical concerns. The possibility of using a laser scanner to avoid painting over protrusions is also mentioned. It is suggested that such a system could be useful in large commercial or institutional wall areas, such as apartments, and for industrial applications. However, it is also noted that the prep work and drying time for painting may still be time-consuming, and this system may not have much impact on tradespeople.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Hey guys i was wondering something...

First of all, are those systems that 'spray' paint (instead of you having to use a brush/roller) any good? I hear they suck.. but some people say there great (so I am thinken user error?).

Anyhow, if they are good... what's the feasibility in having like a roller system where a motor moves a sprayer across a little track at a constant pace and then at the end of the track, something extends the track into the air a little and the sprayer goes back down the opposite way. This would continue until it had gone all the way up the wall :) How bout it lol.

Engineering news on Phys.org
An inkjet printer for walls? What about windows, outlets, and the like?

Put tape over outlets. And walls... you just set the track to go up to a distance of the windwos then turn around. Its meant for big open walls :)

Sounds like an interesting idea, but I see one potential very large political drawback. You'd be taking on the trades. They wouldn't take it sitting down. (Imagine what would happen if you came up with something to put a lot of plumbers out of work.

Also, to make the idea practical I think you'd have to redesign the roller system.

KM

Roller as in paint roller or the track? I was going to use a spray :P But thena gain that's probably going to make a mess come to think of it unless I am rather up close.

I don't think id have political problems. A large % of people paint their own houses and this coudl also just be a suplement to subcontractors to help em do the job. Just a fart in the wind though... i wouldn't seriously go try it... or i dunno, who knows D:

I'm not sure about the practicality once you factor in how long it will take to set-up/tear-down, as well as the need to clean the nozzles between coats (house paint will clog them if allowed to harden or even thicken).
If you want to take the balls-to-the-wall design approach, you could make the nozzle carrier tilt down into a splash-proof trough and fire a blast of turpentine through. You'd have to make sure that all circuitry is explosion-proof, in that case, since the thinner is extremely flammable. On the same note, how do you plan to switch sources (primer, thinner, paint)? Unless you use separate lines, pumps, nozzles etc., they would have to be purged between sources.
A small laser scanner with logic circuits could be integrated to automatically skip over protrusions on the wall, but that wouldn't stop paint from dripping onto them. As a final note, it should travel from side to side, from the top down, rather than vertically. You don't want to apply new strokes above old ones because the paint can run down and leave an uneven finish.
Something like this would certainly be fun to design, and even cobble together out of whatever is lying around, but I'm a bit hesitant about the commercial application of it.

Any form of spray is going to have overspray no matter how concentrated it is. That means if you want to use it indoors, you'll spend massive amounts of time masking everything off that you don't want to get spray on. It doesn't seem worth it to me. A roller is so quick, why change a good thing?

It might be an interesting exercise, especially for use in large commercial or institutional wall areas, and using self priming rollers. We should assign the guys in this forum the exercise of coming up with it - - - sort of a group design.

KM

lol yah, we should all get together and plan out stuff and invent things and all the profit could be split. I mean where else can you so easily find such pools of knowledge with seemingly nothing to do with it :D

It seems like it's usefulness would depend on how easily it could be assembled (a quickly extended track?) and how versatile it would be for different size rooms. A place where sprayers are often used, and where this might find use, would be in apartments. In large complexes where they paint between every tenant and don't care if they paint over everything (you know those places, where you walk in and every outlet, hinge, door handle, and heating vent is painted over), then they might go for something that they could load their paint in, set it to do a wall, go work on repairs needed in another apartment, come back, move it to the next wall, etc. But only if it can easily move in and out of doorways, and quickly be set for multiple wall sizes, not need babysitting, and be quicker to set up than it is to just paint with a sprayer by hand.

As for sprayers vs rollers, from what I've heard, sprayers take some practice to get a decent coat, but once you've got a knack for it, it's very quick. The overspray is the issue, especially around windows and such, but if you can just tape plastic on the glass and don't care about everything else, they're certainly quick.

However, my own painting experience with rollers is that the painting itself isn't the time-consuming part. Prepping the walls, removing or taping off everything I don't want painted, and waiting for the paint to dry between coats are the time-consuming parts.

Another place this might be useful would be for industrial applications, where you need to paint long stretches of walls in a warehouse/factory space where you'd otherwise need to spend a lot of time setting up scaffolding to paint with rollers or sprayers and climb up and down, etc.

I don't think this would put trades people out of work, because I don't expect it's something your average homeowner would be buying or renting to use, it would be more like another tool for the trades people to make their job faster.

What I'm wondering though is how the sprayer would move? I can envision something that would move up and down, but then how does it move laterally and spray the next section of wall? Or would the sprayer just move up and down, and the base would then be motorized and roll along? So, I guess I'm not envisioning a feasible design (I'll leave that to the engineers to quibble about), but the general idea, if you can come up with a feasible design, might have useful applications at least.

Sorry, but I can't resist. This is my professional approach to the matter. (And Imageshack seems to be screwing up, so you have to click on it. :grumpy:)

http://img301.echo.cx/img301/3678/pf5aj.jpg

1. Is it possible for a computer program to create original artwork?

Yes, it is possible for a computer program, such as an automatic painter, to create original artwork. With the advancements in artificial intelligence and machine learning, computers are now able to generate artwork based on pre-programmed algorithms and data.

2. How does an automatic painter work?

An automatic painter works by using algorithms and data to create digital images. These algorithms can be based on different styles, techniques, or even specific artists. The program analyzes the data and creates an image based on the parameters given.

3. Can an automatic painter create art that is indistinguishable from human-created art?

While an automatic painter can create impressive and unique artwork, it is unlikely that it will be indistinguishable from human-created art. The program may be limited by the data and algorithms used, and it may not have the same creativity and intuition as a human artist.

4. What are the potential uses for an automatic painter?

An automatic painter can have various uses, such as creating digital art for video games, animations, or even for marketing and advertising purposes. It can also be used as a tool for artists to generate ideas or inspiration for their own artwork.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding the use of automatic painters?

As with any technology, there may be ethical concerns surrounding the use of automatic painters. For example, there may be debates about ownership and copyright of the artwork created by the program. Additionally, there may be concerns about the impact on the art industry and the role of human artists.