Availability of funding within different areas of physics

In summary, some fields of physics are in decline, while others are doing well. Condensed Matter/Solid State is the hot field right now, but it's not the only one. There is not a lot of money available for hiring people, but that may change in the future as new facilities are built.
Hypercube
Hello!

I was wondering if any of you researchers on PF are willing to provide some insight in regards to how much funding is available to different areas of physics? I'm happy with just qualitative, personal experience-type answers, like which areas you think have the most, which areas have the least, etc. It does not have to be solely within US either.

I will add this below, if it helps:

upload_2017-8-5_7-51-45.png

(I am posting this in Academic Guidance because it may influence my future career decisions, but feel free to move this topic wherever you think is appropriate.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Condensed Matter/Solid State is god right now at my school. Most funding goes there iirc.

Particle is in decline at my school (we barely have enough to pay our undergraduates, and even then only some).

Astro gets even less than particle (our department is half the size of particle or condensed matter).

I'm in Astro and it's really hard for undergrads to get stipends for research here.

I'm at a top 50 school for perspective.

I see. I suspected it would be more or less like that.
Thank you!

PhotonSSBM is talking about undergraduate stipends in his examples. So it's but one facet of what is an impossibly broad question. Just as an example, particle funding at universities is trending down because new facilities construction is trending up. Does that mean funding is bad? Or good?

If it's related to electronics or biology, it's probably well funded by industry or the government (United States point of view).

However the context of the question will determine whether or not any of that matters. Whether or not a field has a lot of funding is not actionable information in a vacuum. For instance, many fields of cellular biology are extremely well funded, but there are also so many people pursuing it that the job market is atrocious.

Vanadium 50 said:
Just as an example, particle funding at universities is trending down because new facilities construction is trending up.
Oh that's interesting, although I don't quite understand why. I mean, if they're building more facilities for (say) particle physicists, wouldn't you expect there would be more data for particle physics people to work on? And more jobs?

Can't use the same dollar to build a facility and to analyze the data from it.

Likes PhotonSSBM
Hypercube said:
Oh that's interesting, although I don't quite understand why. I mean, if they're building more facilities for (say) particle physicists, wouldn't you expect there would be more data for particle physics people to work on? And more jobs?

Vanadium 50 said:
Can't use the same dollar to build a facility and to analyze the data from it.

Also, capital and/or spending on facilities is a one-off cost whereas if you hire someone you will have to pay him/her for several years (plus pensions etc) so it is a long term commitment.
Hence, it is not at all unusual for there to be plenty of money for equipment but no money to hire people.

Likes PhotonSSBM

1. What is the current availability of funding within the field of physics?

The availability of funding within the field of physics varies depending on the specific area of study and the current state of the economy. Generally, government agencies and private organizations provide funding for research projects in physics. However, the competition for funding can be intense, and the amount of available funding may fluctuate from year to year.

2. How can I find funding for my specific area of physics?

To find funding for your specific area of physics, you can start by searching for funding opportunities on websites such as Grants.gov, the National Science Foundation, and the American Physical Society. You can also reach out to colleagues and mentors in your field for advice and potential funding sources.

3. Are there any funding opportunities specifically for early-career physicists?

Yes, there are funding opportunities specifically geared towards early-career physicists. These can include fellowships, grants, and awards from organizations such as the National Science Foundation, the Department of Energy, and the American Physical Society. It is important to regularly check for these opportunities and apply early to increase your chances of receiving funding.

4. Can I apply for funding from multiple sources for the same project?

Yes, it is possible to apply for funding from multiple sources for the same project. However, you should carefully review the guidelines and restrictions of each funding opportunity to ensure that there are no conflicts or limitations on receiving funding from multiple sources. Additionally, it is important to be transparent and disclose all sources of funding in your applications.

5. How can I increase my chances of receiving funding for my research project?

To increase your chances of receiving funding for your research project, it is important to carefully craft a strong and compelling proposal. This includes clearly defining your research objectives, providing a detailed budget, and demonstrating the potential impact and significance of your project. It is also helpful to have a strong track record of previous research and publications in your field.