1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average acceleration of Suzie stopping with roller blades

1. Dec 22, 2007 #1
    Suzie (of mass 52kg) is roller blading down the sidewalk going 36 mph. She notices a group of workers down the walkway who have unexpectedly blocked her path, and she makes a quick stop in 1.9 seconds. What is Suzies average acceleration? Answer in m/s^2. What force was exerted to stop Suzie? Answer in N.

I had converted miles to meters and divided it by the time in order to get the average, but the answer was incorrect. and for the second question I had multiplied the average by the weight, but that was also incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That part sounds right. Show exactly what you did.
    That's not quite correct.

4. Dec 22, 2007 #3
    did you convert hours to seconds? Aavg = delta V / delta t; so what you did should work..

5. Dec 23, 2007 #4
    I changed 36 miles per hour to .01 miles per second which converts to 16.09344 meters per second. I divided that by 1.9 which equals 8.470231579 as the average acceleration. Then for the second part 8.470231579*52 = 440.4520421 N as the force exerted. I'm pretty sure that is what I did.

6. Dec 23, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your answers are perfectly correct. (Except for the unrealistic number of significant figures carried. Round off your final answers.)

7. Dec 23, 2007 #6
    thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?