1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average number of particles/subsystems in a state

1. Oct 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A system in thermal equilibrium at temperature T consists of a large number mimetex.gif of subsystems, each of which can exist only in two states of energy mimetex.gif and mimetex.gif , where mimetex.gif . In the expressions that follow, k is the Boltzmann constant.

For a system at temperature T, the average number of subsystems in the state of energy mimetex.gif is given by

1. 2$.gif
    2. kT}}$.gif
    3. kT}$.gif
    4. kT}}$.gif
    5. kT}}{2}$.gif

2. Relevant equations
    Probability of a system to be in a system-microstate of total energy ##E_R##,
    ##P_R = \frac{e^{-\beta E_R}} {\sum_{R} e^{-\beta E_R}} ##

3. The attempt at a solution
    We have the constraint ##\sum_r n_r= N_0 ## and ## \sum_r n_r \epsilon_r = E_R##
    Where, r labels the single particle states.
    Therefore, the average number of particles in the sth 1 particle state,
    ##\langle n_s\rangle = \frac{\sum_R n_s e^{-\beta (\sum_r n_r \epsilon_r)}}{\sum_{R} e^{-\beta (\sum_r \epsilon_r)}}##

To proceed one needs the nature of the particles.
    For example,
    ## \langle n_s\rangle = \frac{1}{e^{\beta \epsilon_s} -1}## for Photons
    ## \langle n_s\rangle = \frac{1}{e^{(\beta \epsilon_s -\mu)}+1}## for FD statistics etc.

How do i proceed without further info? The question seems to conflate states of the total system with the subsystem states. I think the question is problematic and ambiguous. Anyhow, the supplied 'correct' answer is option (B).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2015 #2
    The given options only makes sense if by 'system' they mean ensemble and by 'subsystem' they mean members of the ensemble.
    Then, ##P(E_1)= \cfrac{e^{-\beta E_1}}{e^{-\beta E_1}+e^{-\beta E_2}}##
    Again, ##P(E_1)= \cfrac{N_1}{N_0}. ## Therefore, ##N_1 = N_0\left(\cfrac{e^{-\beta E_1}}{e^{-\beta E_1}+e^{-\beta E_2}}\right)##
    And hence, ##N_1 = N_0\left(\cfrac{1}{1+e^{-\beta \epsilon}}\right)## , where ## E_2-E_1= \epsilon## .

But, if they're talking about a single system, then the options don't make sense to me. But, this question appeared in the GRE, so they aren't likely to make such errors. So, what am i missing?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted