1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average number of undergrad research

1. Aug 23, 2008 #1
    Hi,
    I was wondering how many different underground research a BSc in Physics student should have completed by the time they graduate?

I have 2-yrs left of just physics classes and I'm not sure if I'll be able to do any more than one that is required for my graduation, as I do have a job as well.

I know graduate schools look at multiple factors, but would this be looked down upon?

It will also take me almost 6-years to get my bachelor as a result of trying to find myself and transfering from two year college.

Thanks,
    Jaska22

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2008 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Don't worry too much about this. An honours research project is generally sufficient to get into grad school. While additional research experience is certainly an asset, not having it is not "looked down on." And really, as the vast majority of undergraduate "research" isn't groundbreaking, what you should aim to get out of it is (a) exposure to the practices of research (what you're in for in grad school), and (b)solid references from professors. By taking on more projects there's the risk of spreading yourself too thin and being unable to do a good job at any of the projects you take on. Concentrate on learning your fundamentals and getting good marks. Then take on a project that you can commit to.

4. Aug 24, 2008 #3
    That was my concern that I wouldn't be able to do it all at once b/c I can't quit job since I'm paying off my loans now and every semester I have multiple physics classes that each need full attention and I don't want to end up with a bad gpa in the end. I'll just do this one, and if after I'm done with this one I get some free time I may try another, but I wont be pushing too hard.

5. Aug 24, 2008 #4

eri

One research project seems to be pretty typical of the students in my grad program. I had a few more, but hey, I ended up in the same place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?