Average power consumption in watts

In summary, by following a diet of 2140 food calories per day, the average power consumption in watts is equal to (2140 cals * 2400 J) / (24 days * 60 minutes * 60 seconds). Additionally, it would take (61 kg * 8848 m * 9.8 m/s) / (2140 cals * 2400 J) days of following this diet to achieve the same gravitational energy change as going from sea level to the top of Mount Everest.
enchanteuse

Homework Statement

(a) If you follow a diet of 2140 food calories per day (2140 kilocalories), what is your average power consumption in watts? (A food or "large" calorie is a unit of energy equal to 4.2*10^3 J; a regular or "small" calorie is equal to 4.2 J.) Note for comparison that the power consumption in a table lamp is typically about 100 watts.
___ watts
(b) How many days of a diet of 2140 large calories are equivalent to the gravitational energy change from sea level to the top of Mount Everest, 8848 m above sea level? Assume your weight is 61 kg. (The body is not anywhere near 100% efficient in converting chemical energy into change in altitude. Also note that this is in addition to your basal metabolism.)
____ days

Homework Equations

Power = F * v
Power = W / delta t

I know that 1 watt = 1 J/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted 2140 calories to Joules, which is 2140 * (4.2*10^3) = 8988000 J
I'm not sure what I need to do from there because I can't figure out the work.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of a watt?

If you have Joules in a day, and you can figure out how many seconds are in a day ...

As to Everest what is the potential energy increase required? m*g*h ?

I figured it out:)

a) (2140 cals *2400 J) / (24 days * 60 minutes * 60 seconds)

b) (61 kg * 8848 m * 9.8 m/s) / (2140 cals *2400 J)

enchanteuse said:
I figured it out:)

a) (2140 cals *2400 J) / (24 days * 60 minutes * 60 seconds)

b) (61 kg * 8848 m * 9.8 m/s) / (2140 cals *2400 J)

Weren't you using 4.2*10^3 J ?

Good catch! That was a typo...I meant 4.2 * 10^3 J.

Thanks LowlyPion:)

What is average power consumption in watts?

Average power consumption in watts refers to the amount of energy consumed per unit of time, typically measured in watts. It is a measure of the average rate at which energy is used over a period of time.

How is average power consumption in watts calculated?

Average power consumption in watts is calculated by dividing the total energy consumed by the time period over which it was consumed. For example, if a device uses 100 watts of energy over a period of 10 seconds, the average power consumption would be 10 watts (100 watts / 10 seconds = 10 watts).

What factors affect average power consumption in watts?

The main factors that affect average power consumption in watts include the type of device or equipment being used, the efficiency of the device, and the duration of usage. Other factors such as temperature, voltage, and current can also impact power consumption.

Why is it important to monitor average power consumption in watts?

Monitoring average power consumption in watts is important for several reasons. It can help individuals and businesses make more informed decisions about energy usage and conservation, identify areas of high energy consumption, and potentially reduce energy costs. It can also be a useful tool for tracking the efficiency of different devices and equipment.

How can average power consumption in watts be reduced?

To reduce average power consumption in watts, individuals and businesses can take steps such as using energy-efficient devices and equipment, turning off or unplugging devices when not in use, and implementing energy-saving practices. Regularly monitoring and analyzing power consumption can also help identify areas where improvements can be made to reduce energy usage.