Power Consumption and Entropy Generation

In summary, the conversation discusses various equations related to power, internal energy, entropy, mass, volume, density, and temperature. The specific internal energy and specific entropy are quantified as u = 4.2T and s = 4.2lnT respectively. The specific internal energy is measured in J/kg and the change in time must be accounted for when calculating power.
gloppypop

Homework Statement

[/B]
2-3-15

123.jpg

Homework Equations

[/B]
P = power. W = work. U = internal energy. S = entropy. t = time. Q = heat. T = temperature. F = force. d = distance.

P = ΔW/Δt= ΔU/Δt

ΔS = ΔQ/T

dm/dt = ρ⋅dV/dt

W = F ⋅ d

ΔU = Q - W

Where m is mass, V is volume, and ρ is the density of the fluid. Water ρ = 1000 kg/m3

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since Uint = 4.2T
Uin = (4.2)(300K) = 1260J
Uout = (4.2)(370K) = 1554J

P = ΔU/Δt = (1554J - 1260J) = 294 J/sec

I don't know if this is correct. And I'm not sure how to approach (b), regarding entropy generation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/95666

I'm really lost. Any hints? Maybe this should be in engineering. It's for my Mechanical Engineering 205 class...

gloppypop said:
I'm really lost. Any hints? Maybe this should be in engineering. It's for my Mechanical Engineering 205 class...
The problem statement did tell you that the specific internal energy and specific entropy were [itex]u = 4.2 T [/itex] and [itex]s = 4.2 \ln T [/itex] respectively. Let's just concentrate on the specific internal energy for now.

The "specific" part of specific internal energy tells you that it's quantifying the energy per amount of stuff. This amount of stuff is usually measured in units of kilograms (kg) in problems like these, but don't be surprised in future coursework if it's measured in moles, pounds, tons, etc.

So here, [itex] u [/itex] isn't in units of energy. But rather it's in units of energy per unit mass. I'm guessing, probably J/kg.

Also, you haven't figured the change in time into your equations either. You've suddenly converted units of J to J/sec without any rationale.

Figure out both of those, and I suspect you'll get the right answer. :smile: [Hint: if you're clever, you might be able to figure them both out in a single step.]

What is power consumption?

Power consumption refers to the amount of energy used by a system or device over a given period of time. It is typically measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW) and is an important factor in determining the efficiency of a system.

What is entropy generation?

Entropy generation is a measure of the amount of disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the conversion of useful energy into unusable energy as a result of irreversible processes.

How are power consumption and entropy generation related?

There is a direct relationship between power consumption and entropy generation. As power is consumed, entropy is generated due to the irreversible processes involved. This means that as power consumption increases, so does the amount of entropy generated.

What are some ways to reduce power consumption and entropy generation?

There are several strategies that can be used to reduce power consumption and entropy generation, such as improving the efficiency of systems, using renewable energy sources, and implementing energy-saving measures like insulation and efficient lighting.

Why is it important to consider power consumption and entropy generation in scientific research?

Understanding power consumption and entropy generation is crucial in many fields of scientific research, particularly in energy and environmental studies. By studying these concepts, we can develop more efficient and sustainable systems, reduce waste and environmental impact, and improve overall system performance.