Average Speed between two cities

In summary, Pauline's average speed for her trip is 56 km/hr (rounded to the nearest kilometer), calculated by dividing the total distance (41 km + 22.75 km + 18.33 km = 81.08 km) by the total time (94 minutes = 1.57 hours).
Chiffy
Pauline travels between two cities. First she drives for 31 minutes at an average speed of 82 km/hr then for 23 minutes at an average speed of 51 km/hr, then she spends 25 minutes eating lunch and buying gas, and then she drives for 15 minutes at an average speed of 44 km/hr.

Find Pauline’s average speed for this trip. Express it in kilometers and round your answer to the nearest kilometer

I know I have to use the average speed formula, which is total distance/time (94 minutes in this case). How do I get the time taken from 31 minutes at an average speed of 82km/hr, etc...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Chiffy, and welcome to PF. Posting a question means filling in the template.

Homework Statement

Pauline travels between two cities. First she drives for 31 minutes at an average speed of 82 km/hr then for 23 minutes at an average speed of 51 km/hr, then she spends 25 minutes eating lunch and buying gas, and then she drives for 15 minutes at an average speed of 44 km/hr.
Find Pauline’s average speed for this trip. Express it in kilometers and round your answer to the nearest kilometer
Expresssing a speed in kilometers is going to be very impossible. perhaps they want kilometers per hour ?

Homework Equations

average speed formula, which is total distance/time

The Attempt at a Solution

oops. Something like: I have total time, now all I need is total distance. That is distance covered in first 31 min plus distance .. etc. Not so difficult, right ? Except for the last part, perhaps.

Your question:
How do I get the time taken from 31 minutes at an average speed of 82km/hr, etc...?
Is answered with: "31 minutes" etc.

Not what you hoped for, I suppose. Perhaps you want the distance ? 1 hour 82 km, 2 hours 2 * 82 km, 1/2 hour: 1/2 hour * 82 km/hour = 41 km. Recognize the pattern ?

What is the definition of average speed between two cities?

The average speed between two cities is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken to cover that distance. It is usually measured in miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

How is the average speed calculated between two cities?

The average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance between two cities by the total time taken to cover that distance. For example, if the distance between two cities is 100 miles and it takes 2 hours to travel, the average speed would be 50 mph (100 miles / 2 hours = 50 mph).

Does average speed take into account factors like traffic and road conditions?

Yes, average speed takes into account all the factors that affect the time taken to travel between two cities. These factors include traffic, road conditions, and any stops or delays during the journey. However, the average speed does not provide a detailed analysis of these factors.

Why is average speed between two cities important?

Average speed between two cities is important because it gives an idea of how long it would take to travel between them. It is useful for planning trips and estimating arrival times. It is also used in transportation planning and traffic management to improve overall travel time between cities.

Can the average speed between two cities vary?

Yes, the average speed between two cities can vary depending on various factors such as time of day, weather conditions, and route taken. It can also vary for different modes of transportation, such as driving, flying, or taking a train. Therefore, it is important to consider these factors when calculating the average speed between two cities.