1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average Speed between two cities

1. Sep 9, 2014 #1
    Pauline travels between two cities. First she drives for 31 minutes at an average speed of 82 km/hr then for 23 minutes at an average speed of 51 km/hr, then she spends 25 minutes eating lunch and buying gas, and then she drives for 15 minutes at an average speed of 44 km/hr.

Find Pauline’s average speed for this trip. Express it in kilometers and round your answer to the nearest kilometer

I know I have to use the average speed formula, which is total distance/time (94 minutes in this case). How do I get the time taken from 31 minutes at an average speed of 82km/hr, etc...?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Chiffy, and welcome to PF. Posting a question means filling in the template.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Pauline travels between two cities. First she drives for 31 minutes at an average speed of 82 km/hr then for 23 minutes at an average speed of 51 km/hr, then she spends 25 minutes eating lunch and buying gas, and then she drives for 15 minutes at an average speed of 44 km/hr.
    Find Pauline’s average speed for this trip. Express it in kilometers and round your answer to the nearest kilometer
    Expresssing a speed in kilometers is going to be very impossible. perhaps they want kilometers per hour ?
    2. Relevant equations
    average speed formula, which is total distance/time

3. The attempt at a solution
    oops. Something like: I have total time, now all I need is total distance. That is distance covered in first 31 min plus distance .. etc.

Not so difficult, right ? Except for the last part, perhaps.

Your question:
    Is answered with: "31 minutes" etc.

Not what you hoped for, I suppose. Perhaps you want the distance ? 1 hour 82 km, 2 hours 2 * 82 km, 1/2 hour: 1/2 hour * 82 km/hour = 41 km. Recognize the pattern ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted