Average speed for 80km at 100 km/h and 50km at 75 km/h

  • Thread starter Thread starter AKsamantha
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Speed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
AKsamantha
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A mortorist travels 80km at 100 km/h, and 50 km at 75 km/h. WHat is the average speed for the trip?

Homework Equations


I used (avg)s=distance/time


The Attempt at a Solution


I got 6.2 km/h which I know is way off.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a good first step to realize that your answer is not terribly realistic.

I believe you have the right equation. The average speed is: d/t. What is the total distance travel (d=?)? The little trick will be to find out how long it took the motorist to travel this distance (t=?)?

Cheers
 
[tex]v_{avg}=\frac{\Delta x }{\Delta t}[/tex]
Find how far it travels in part one and add that to how far it travels in trip 2. And do the same for t.