Average speed of earth in its orbit of sun

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 23K views
bilbobaggins
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The Earth's orbit around the sun is very nearly circular, with an average radius of 1.5x10^11 m. What is the average speed of the Earth in orbit around sun.

Homework Equations



d/t= 2pi/t

The Attempt at a Solution



2pi*1.5x10^11/ 31556926
it comes out to be 29865.95
answer is supposed to be v=28,886 m/s
so can anyone tell me what i did wrong

31556926 is a year so that's why i used it in the equation
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your t value is a little off. Can you explain how you got it?

Hmm, I get the same answer you do though.
 
Last edited:
hage567 said:
Your t value is a little off. Can you explain how you got it?

Hmm, I get the same answer you do though.

I used google to find t, lol.
 
Try calculating it yourself! I'm inclined to believe the book's answer is wrong.
 
The relevant data are
a=1.00000011 au
e=0.01671022
T=365.242190 days (tropical year)

Using Ramanujan's approximation of the circumference of an ellipse,

[tex]C=\pi a \left(3\left(1+\sqrt{1-e^2}\right)-\sqrt{\left(3+\sqrt{1-e^2}\right)\left(1+3\sqrt{1-e^2}\right)}\right)[/tex]

the Earth's orbital velocity is 0.01720159 au/day, or 29.7838 m/s

From http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/factsheet/earthfact.html, the Earth's minimum orbital velocity is 29.29 km/s, larger than the supposedly correct answer. (In other words, the book is wrong.)