Average value in superposition question

In summary, the different summation indices (n,m) come about because the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian are orthogonal, and so the terms involved in the average (ψ=c1ψ1+c2ψ2) are all orthogonal as well. However, when you calculate the energy, you don't get the mixed terms E_12,E_21 because these terms involve the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian.
Alexitron
Hi there.
A quick question: When calculating the average energy (or any value) of a particle which is in superposition, why the sums have different summation index (n,m)?

Thanks!

Attachments

• energy.JPG
    energy.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org
If you multiply a number a=a1+a2 with itself, you get a1² + a2² + 2a1a2. If you take the same summation index for both sums in your problem, you end up only with terms an² and don't get the mixed terms.

/edit: You may be wondering why in the end, you actually don't get the mixed terms. But remember that this is due to the orthogonality ψnψmnm of the eigenfunctions of the (hermitian) Hamiltonian. This is not true for arbitrary sums of wavefunctions.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your reply.
it bothers me for some time

So for example,(ψ=c1ψ1 + c2ψ2) when calculating the average position (or any other Item A) of a particle, if we had the same summation index we wouldn't have the terms X_12 and X_21. But when we calculate the energy we don't have these mixed (E_12,E_21) terms but eigenvalues (E_1,E_2) due to orthogonality.

Alexitron said:
So for example,(ψ=c1ψ1 + c2ψ2) when calculating the average position (or any other Item A) of a particle, if we had the same summation index we wouldn't have the terms X_12 and X_21. But when we calculate the energy we don't have these mixed (E_12,E_21) terms but eigenvalues (E_1,E_2) due to orthogonality.
Yes. But you do understand why it is mathematically wrong to use the same summation index, don't you?

kith said:
Yes. But you do understand why it is mathematically wrong to use the same summation index, don't you?
Well, i know how the values of <x> and <E> are calculated and that energy is quantized but the position for example is not , but to be honest i don't understand why the conjugate ψ* has different index. The only thing i can think is that we lose the factors A12 and A21 when calculating <A> (what you said in your previous reply). Is that the reason? And what's the physical meaning of A12 and A21 that energy doesn't have (I know why energy doesn't have them)?
Sorry for asking such trivial things, but I'm stuck here.

I mean what's wrong with the following?

Attachments

• energy 2.JPG
    energy 2.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Alexitron said:
Well, i know how the values of <x> and <E> are calculated and that energy is quantized but the position for example is not (of course for t≠0), but to be honest i don't understand why the conjugate ψ* has different index.
Forget about QM for a moment and think purely mathematical. ψ is a complex number which can be written as a sum Ʃnψn, and so is ψ*. If you multiply two sums, you can't use the same index because this doesn't yield any mixed terms.

Alexitron said:
And what's the physical meaning of A12 and A21 that energy doesn't have (I know why energy doesn't have them)?
Actually, there's nothing specific to energy here. ψ can be decomposed in an orthogonal set of eigenvectors to any observable, so <A> = Ʃn|cn|²an is the result for the average value of an arbitrary observable A.

Terms c1c2 do play a role when you calculate probabilities instead of average values. They are responsible for interference (see the double slit for example).

/edit: Your second calculation only yields the same result because ψn is an eigenvector to H. Else you would get Ʃn|cn|² * I, where I stands for the numerical value of the integral. In general, this is not the same as Ʃn,mcn*cm.

Last edited:
Thanks for your time. You helped me a lot to figure it out.

What is the concept of average value in superposition question?

The concept of average value in superposition question refers to the mathematical calculation of the average value of a physical quantity in a quantum system that is in a state of superposition. This average value is calculated by taking into account the probabilities of each possible outcome and weighting them accordingly.

How is average value related to superposition in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the concept of superposition states that a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously. The average value in superposition question is a way to measure the expected value of a physical quantity in such a system. It takes into account the probabilities of each possible state and gives a single value that represents the expected outcome.

What is the significance of average value in superposition question in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, the ability to manipulate and control superposition states is crucial for performing complex calculations. The average value in superposition question allows us to measure and predict the outcomes of these calculations, making it an essential tool in the development of quantum algorithms and technologies.

How is the average value in superposition question calculated?

The average value in superposition question is calculated by taking the sum of the products of each possible outcome and its corresponding probability. This is represented mathematically as the integral of the physical quantity over all possible states, weighted by the probability of each state.

What does the average value in superposition question tell us about a quantum system?

The average value in superposition question gives us a single value that represents the expected outcome of a physical quantity in a quantum system. This value can provide insights into the behavior and properties of the system, such as the stability of the superposition state and the likelihood of specific outcomes.