Average Velocity During a Collision

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionI'm not sure how to find this. I could find the avg velocity if I had the time it took to bring the ball to a stop, but that's the next question. Any help is greatly appreciated.They say the slow-down force is constant. What does that tell you about the deceleration? What equation would you then use to express the velocity as a function of time? And what operation would you do to that v(t) function to figure out the average v?That deceleration is constant over the time it takes to come to a stop.
cowmoo32

Homework Statement

A tennis ball has a mass of 0.057 kg. A professional tennis player hits the ball hard enough to give it a speed of 50 m/s (about 112 miles per hour.) The ball moves toward the left, hits a wall and bounces straight back to the right with almost the same speed (50 m/s). As indicated in the diagram below, high-speed photography shows that the ball is crushed about 2 cm at the instant when its speed is momentarily zero, before rebounding. Assume that the large force the ball exerts on the wall is approximately constant during contact.

What is the average speed of the ball during the period from first contact with the wall to the moment the ball's speed is momentarily zero?

Homework Equations

DeltaP=Fnet*DeltaT
rFinal=rInitial+Vavg*DeltaT

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to find this. I could find the avg velocity if I had the time it took to bring the ball to a stop, but that's the next question. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
They say the slow-down force is constant. What does that tell you about the deceleration? What equation would you then use to express the velocity as a function of time? And what operation would you do to that v(t) function to figure out the average v?

What does that tell you about the deceleration?
That deceleration is constant over the time it takes to come to a stop

What equation would you then use to express the velocity as a function of time?
Vavg = deltaX/deltaT Is that what you mean? If so, I don't know deltaT...

Ok, I got the speed:25m/s It was Vi-Vf/2...too easy. I also have the time: .0008 sec. Now I need to find the force. There is an example in my book dealing with a person running into a wall. The equation they use is
F(x) = |mass*Vavg/deltaT|
I tried that but it didn't give me the right answer.

Well, F=ma, and you have the deceleration already, and the mass, right? Does that method give you the right answer?

1. What is average velocity during a collision?

Average velocity during a collision refers to the average speed at which an object is moving during a collision. It takes into account the initial and final velocities of the object and the time it takes for the collision to occur.

2. How is average velocity during a collision calculated?

The average velocity during a collision is calculated by dividing the change in position of the object by the time it takes for the collision to occur. This can be represented by the equation: average velocity = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

3. Why is average velocity during a collision important?

Average velocity during a collision is important because it helps us understand the dynamics of the collision and the forces involved. It also allows us to predict the behavior of objects during a collision and make informed decisions about safety measures.

4. Is average velocity during a collision the same as average speed?

No, average velocity during a collision is not the same as average speed. Average speed only takes into account the distance traveled and the time it took to travel that distance, whereas average velocity also considers the direction of motion.

5. How does the mass of an object affect the average velocity during a collision?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the average velocity during a collision. However, it can affect the final velocity of the object after the collision, which in turn can impact the average velocity. A heavier object may have a lower final velocity after the collision due to its higher inertia, resulting in a lower average velocity.