AZING!What is the Polytopic Index for a given set of Pressure and Volume values?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tsukuba
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Work
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
tsukuba
Messages
47
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hello, I came across a problem where the polytropic index is not given but I've been given P1, P2, V1 and V2.

P1V1 = P2V2 (130kPa)(0.007m3)n = (100kPa)(0.08637m3)n ----> n=1.249

Homework Equations


PVn=constant
I was thinking I would have to use log to figure out n maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution


haven't been able to work it out backwards. Need your help please!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
tsukuba said:
I was thinking I would have to use log to figure out n maybe?
If xn = k then ln(xn) = ln(k)AM
 
the value of n is not given. I just put it there because but what if it was
xn = ?
solving for n
 
I came to this but now I am not sure how to isolate for n

ln(130) n*ln(0.07) = ln(100) n*ln90.08637)
 
tsukuba said:
I came to this but now I am not sure how to isolate for n

ln(130) n*ln(0.07) = ln(100) n*ln90.08637)

[tex]P_1V_1^n = P_2V_2^n[/tex]
[tex]\frac{P_1}{P_2} = \left(\frac{V_2}{V_1}\right)^n[/tex]
[tex]\ln(P_1)-\ln(P_2) = n(\ln(V_2) - \ln(V_1))[/tex]

Can you work it out from there?

AM