1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B in Diff Eq Honors or A in Non-Honors?

1. Jan 23, 2013 #1
    Should I take Diff Eq honors which goes deeper and broader into the material and obviously has harder test problems and risk getting a B or C or take regular where I will probably get an A?

What sucks is given enough time I can eventually figure out the hard honors problems but since tests have time constraints, I usually run out of time. My problem is I work too slow, not that I don't know the material.

Advice?

Edit: My goal is a math PhD program, and I hear math GPA is the most important thing for admission so...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2013 #2

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

If you know you you will get an A, take that course and go deeper and broader on your own. If your goal is to get a math phd, you shouldnt need any motivation other than curiosity.

Of course one could argue you certainly dont know you will get an A.

4. Jan 24, 2013 #3
    Any more advice? I need to decide ASAP!

Another reason why I'm wary about taking honors is because I've already taken Diff Eq once (long ago in a 5-week summer session where I didn't learn anything) and made a B, so if I take it again and make a B or a C, I feel like it will look horrible even if it is in honors.

:(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook