1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Important Decision to make about honors/non-honors

1. May 2, 2012 #1
    So I'm taking quantum mechanics and I'm within the threshold of
    getting an A in the class. My professor assigned a problem set
    that we can either do for extra credit OR for honors in the class.

Most "honors" physics classes at my university are kinda a joke
    in that they just require you to do a small project or the like. I'm
    wondering if it would be more advantageous to risk getting an
    AB with honors or if getting an A is flat out much more important.

Your advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2012 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Honours means different things at different universities.

I'm used to it defining a specific courseload that is more rigorous towards the subject of specialization. Those who were in non-honours programs had less core classes and a wider range of electives. The honours program was geared towards those interested in graduate school.

All of that being said, you have to find the balance between challenging yourself and doing well enough in your courses that you can accomplish your objectives. That's a different balance point for everyone.

4. May 2, 2012 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Who manages the honors courses? Can you talk to that person(s)? In my case it was a professor emeritus (Cecil Rhodes) that was as sharp as a tack. He talked me into moving from engineering into liberal arts - best move I ever made.

When I switched colleges, the dean of engineering hauled me into his office and told me that the department was willing to give me a full 5-year scholarship, and threatened to call my parents about switching departments. I told him to go ahead.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook