Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Baker, Campbell, Hausdorff and all that

1. Apr 29, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Baker, Campbell, Hausdorff and all that

I'm posting this here because, although it is a mathematics problem, it is related to perturbation theory and is the kind of problem physicists might be more skilled at answering.

Does anyone know an elegant proof of

[tex]e^{A+B} = \int_0^1 d\alpha_1 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1) e^{\alpha_1 A} + \int_0^1 d\alpha_1 d\alpha_2 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1 - \alpha_2) e^{\alpha_1 A} B e^{\alpha_2 A} + \frac{1}{2!}\int_0^1 d\alpha_1 d\alpha_2 d\alpha_3 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1 - \alpha_2 - \alpha_3) e^{\alpha_1 A} B e^{\alpha_2 A} B e^{\alpha_3 A} + \dots[/tex]

where of course [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] are matrices? I can prove it starting from the easy to prove identity
    [tex]\frac{d}{ds} e^{A + s B} = \left( \int_0^1\!dt\, e^{t(A + s B)} B e^{-t(A + s B)} \right) e^{A + s B}[/tex]
    but the proof gets a bit messy. I was hoping maybe someone recognizes the formula or knows a good references.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2008 #2
    I can't help with your question but I'm curious. What does

[tex]\int_0^1 d\alpha_1 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1) e^{\alpha_1 A}[/tex]

mean?

That is, since

[tex]\int_0^{1+\epsilon} d\alpha_1 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1) e^{\alpha_1 A}=e^A[/tex] and [tex]\int_0^{1-\epsilon} d\alpha_1 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1) e^{\alpha_1 A}=0[/tex]

what happens when your limit of integration over a delta function is the singularity point?

4. Apr 29, 2008 #3
    I'll give an example, based on (a more general version of) the second identity I gave. You can think of
    [tex]\frac{d}{ds} \left( e^{A(s)} \right) = \int_0^1\int_0^1 \!d\alpha_1\,d\alpha_2 \delta(1-\alpha_1 - \alpha_2) e^{\alpha_1 A(s)} A'(s) e^{\alpha_2 A(s)} [/tex]
    as short-hand for
    [tex]\frac{d}{ds} \left( e^{A(s)} \right) = \int_0^1\!d\alpha\,e^{\alpha A(s)} A'(s) e^{(1-\alpha)A(s)} [/tex].
    This the range of integration extends slightly beyond the singular point, in order that the short-hand works.

5. Apr 30, 2008 #4
    I think I understand that. Thanks!

6. Apr 30, 2008 #5
    In case anyone is following the score, the correct identity turns out to be

[tex]e^{A+B} = \int_0^1 d\alpha_1 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1) e^{\alpha_1 A} + \int_0^1 d\alpha_1 d\alpha_2 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1 - \alpha_2) e^{\alpha_1 A} B e^{\alpha_2 A} + \int_0^1 d\alpha_1 d\alpha_2 d\alpha_3 \,\delta(1-\alpha_1 - \alpha_2 - \alpha_3) e^{\alpha_1 A} B e^{\alpha_2 A} B e^{\alpha_3 A} + \dots[/tex]

which is considerably easier to prove =)

7. May 1, 2008 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?