Sliding mode observer gain -- How do I find it?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the correct gain of a sliding mode observer of a 2nd order form. The observer includes uncertain terms and some mathematical transformations. The main question is how to find the proper gain by linearizing the system. To do this, the equations need to be converted into state space format and the Jacobin matrix needs to be computed. The process is similar to solving for a controller, where desired eigenvalues are determined and gains are calculated using formulas such as Ackermans.
Payam30
Hi,
I have a 2nd order of sliding mode observer of the form:
[tex] \dot{\hat{x}} = \hat{f}(x,t) + \delta f + \Psi(u,y) +[ \frac{d \Omega}{dx}]^{-1} \upsilon[/tex]
where ##\upsilon##:
[tex] \upsilon_1= \alpha_1 \lambda_1^{1/2} | y_1 -\hat{x}_1|^{1/2}*sign(y_1 -\hat{x}_1)[/tex]
[tex]\upsilon_2= \alpha_2 \lambda_1*sign(\upsilon_1)[/tex]
[tex] \upsilon_3= \alpha_3 \lambda_2^{1/2} | y_2 -\hat{x}_2|^{1/2}*sign(y_2 -\hat{x}_2)[/tex]
[tex]\upsilon_4= \alpha_4 \lambda_2*sign(\upsilon_3)[/tex]
where ##y_{1,2}## is the output and and ##x_{1,2}## are the estimations of measurable outputs. How do I find the correct gain of sliding mode observer?
##\delta f## is the uncertainties and ##[ \frac{d \Omega}{dx}]^{-1} ## is some mathematical stuff based on transformations. The main question is how do you find the proper gain of an observer by linearizing a system?
Do I linearize the plant and observer? and then what graphs should I look at to find the appripriate gains?
Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you convert your equations into state space format? It would be MUCH easier to solve if you can do that.
Is this for a class on non-linear controls, or just in general?

If this is a nonlinear controls problem, and the sign function implies, then yes you'll have to linear to get the function into state space format.

You would solve for an observer pretty much the same way you solve for a controller. You determine your desired eigenvalues and work backwards to determine the gains required. Ackermans formula for example is one way to do it.

Do you know how to compute your Jacobin matrix?

1. What is a sliding mode observer gain?

A sliding mode observer gain is an algorithm used in control systems to estimate the state variables of a system by observing its inputs and outputs. It is a feedback controller that helps to reduce the effects of disturbances and uncertainties in the system.

2. How is the sliding mode observer gain calculated?

The sliding mode observer gain is calculated by solving a mathematical equation that takes into account the system dynamics, measurements, and desired performance. The gain value can be adjusted to achieve a balance between estimation accuracy and robustness.

3. What are the benefits of using a sliding mode observer gain?

Using a sliding mode observer gain can provide several benefits in control systems, including robustness to disturbances and uncertainties, fast and accurate state estimation, and reduced sensitivity to noise. It can also improve the stability and performance of the system.

4. How do I determine the appropriate sliding mode observer gain for my system?

The appropriate sliding mode observer gain for a system depends on its specific dynamics and performance requirements. It is typically determined through a process of trial and error, where the gain is adjusted until the desired performance is achieved. Simulation and experimentation can also help to determine the best gain value for a particular system.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a sliding mode observer gain?

While sliding mode observer gain can offer significant benefits, there are some limitations and drawbacks to consider. These may include chattering effects, which can cause high-frequency oscillations, and increased complexity in the control design. It is also important to carefully choose the gain value to avoid instability or poor performance in the system.