Balinese instrument called an angklung

• Thread starter atthegates
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Instrument
In summary: I didn't see any mention of the effect of tube dimensions and such on tube instruments.In summary, the project involves explaining the physics behind a musical instrument, specifically the Balinese instrument called an angklung. The instrument is made of bamboo and similar to chimes, but its irregularities make it more complicated to understand. The resonance frequency of the bamboo and the effect of its external and internal dimensions on its rigidity and frequency are important factors in understanding the physics of this instrument. However, the responder is not an expert on musical instruments and suggests researching the topic for more information.
atthegates
hi in class we're doing a project where we have to explain the physics behind an instrument that we either build or already have. i am going to be bringing in a balinese instrument called an angklung, which is an instrument similar to chimes except it is made out of bamboo. i was wondering whether someone can explain to me just briefly, in a few sentences, the physics behind this instrument. again, id really appreciate some help on this from someone who understands the physics behind musical instruments. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I must admit that I clicked on this thread expecting to find a question about airspeed indicators or oil pressure gauges.
It sounds as if this is more complicated than normal windchimes. Those seem to just rely upon the resonance frequency of the material (usually glass or brass). In your case, that would be a major factor as well, but bamboo won't be nearly as consistent from one piece to another. Add to that the effect that 'segment weals' (my term; those ridges on the outside) have upon the rigidity and thus the frequency of the tubes. The internal and external diameters of the tubes will vary just as much as the length.
I am not the person that you want answering this, though. I know almost nothing of musical instruments, and even less of math.

Danger said:
I must admit that I clicked on this thread expecting to find a question about airspeed indicators or oil pressure gauges.

me too

It would be against guidelines if we just gave you everything without you doing any looking into of your own.

If you just googled 'physics of chimes' you would have found http://web.missouri.edu/~umcaswwwepic/PDF%20files/Physics_of_Wind_Chimes-KimB.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an angklung?

An angklung is a traditional musical instrument from Bali, Indonesia. It is made up of bamboo tubes of varying lengths, which are attached to a bamboo frame. When shaken, the tubes produce a distinct sound.

2. How is an angklung played?

An angklung is played by shaking the instrument, either by hand or by using a mallet. The player can also manipulate the pitch of the instrument by covering and uncovering the holes on the bamboo tubes.

3. What is the cultural significance of the angklung?

The angklung is an important part of Balinese culture and is often used in traditional ceremonies and rituals. It is also considered a symbol of unity and community, as it is often played in groups or ensembles.

4. How is an angklung made?

An angklung is typically made by hand using bamboo, a material that is abundant in Bali. The bamboo tubes are cut to different lengths and then bound together with rattan or string to create a frame. The instrument is then tuned by shaving off small amounts of bamboo from the tubes.

5. Are there different types of angklung?

Yes, there are different types of angklung that vary in size and number of tubes. The most commonly used angklung has 2 to 4 tubes, but there are also larger versions with up to 7 tubes. Each type produces a unique sound and is used in different musical contexts.