Physics Project Experiment Ideas

In summary, the student is seeking help in coming up with an idea for their physics project after their teacher rejected their initial idea. They are in 9th grade and looking for a cool but not too difficult idea. Some suggestions they have are investigating different shades of hair and food insulation, as well as household and food flammability. However, the teacher has given specific guidelines for the project, such as involving an experiment with data collection and analysis. The student may also consider making a video using Videopoint software or building something related to a topic studied in class. Another suggestion is to incorporate their favorite hobby or sport into an experiment. The conversation also mentions the concept of calculus of variations and a potential project involving a brachistoch
pearly_girly
I need help coming up with an idea for my physics project, my teacher rejected my idea of which will a ball travel from two points faster on a straight line, palabora, or cyclode. she say is obvious its the same for each and we studied that, she says its a mickey mouse project.
so yeah I am in 9th grade, and need some cool but also not too hard to do. some ideas i have are these:
Do different shades of hair insulate at different levels?
Do different foods insulate at different levels?
What household products are the most flammable, why?
What food products are the most flammable, why?

but even if i do one of those shell probably call them mickey mouse projects
here are the instructions

It must involve an experiment, with data collection and analysis, and involves several steps:

Possible Topics: You may pick one of the following types of projects, or perhaps something different (must be approved by teacher). Not all teachers are using all projects; your teacher will tell you which ones you can choose from.

1. Video Project: make a video and use Videopoint software to analyze some aspect of motion, conservation of momentum, conservation of energy, etc. BE SURE to consider whether the event involved (ie, a collision) is appropriate for this – for example, many events like golf swings and baseball batting occur too fast to capture with a normal video camera. It’s HIGHLY ADVISABLE that you discuss this with your teacher before writing your proposal.

2. Build something: research and build something related to some topic studied this year (ie, solar oven, musical instrument, telescope, many more). Remember this must also involve data-taking and analysis!

3. Hobby/sports: If you have some favorite hobby or sport, devise an experiment that somehow involves it (must be physics-related).

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask your physics teacher if she knows calculus of variations, which Isaac Newton invented and used about 1696 to solve the problem of finding the fastest path for a frictionless mass sliding from point A to a lower point B. The popular name for the problem is the Brachistochrone problem, which Newton solved in one day. See Newton's solution at
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BrachistochroneProblem.html
I have seen photographs of a brachistochrone built out of rosewood. It would be interesting to see a brachistochrone and a standard straight ramp perform side by side.

would need some pretty serous adult supervision but Rubin's tube. Nice example a standing sound wave.

Although food flammability study could be fun.

What are some simple experiments I can do for my physics project?

Some simple experiments for a physics project could include investigating the laws of motion by dropping objects of different weights from the same height, measuring the speed of a falling object using a stopwatch, or testing the effects of friction by sliding objects down different surfaces.

How can I make my physics project stand out?

To make your physics project stand out, consider choosing a unique topic or approach, using creative visuals or demonstrations, and providing clear and detailed explanations of your experiment and results. You could also incorporate real-life applications or connections to current events to make your project more relevant and interesting.

Are there any physics projects that can be done at home?

Yes, there are many physics projects that can be done at home using simple materials and equipment. Some ideas include building a homemade pulley system to demonstrate the concept of work and energy, creating a simple circuit to understand electricity and magnetism, or conducting experiments with different types of lenses to investigate optics.

What are some advanced physics experiments for high school students?

Some advanced physics experiments for high school students could include testing the properties of electromagnetic radiation using a spectrometer, investigating the behavior of waves using a ripple tank, or exploring the principles of fluid mechanics by building a model wind tunnel. These experiments require more specialized equipment and a deeper understanding of physics concepts.

How can I make my physics project more interactive?

To make your physics project more interactive, you could consider incorporating hands-on activities or demonstrations for your audience to participate in. You could also create interactive simulations or games to help explain complex concepts, or use multimedia elements such as videos or animations to engage your audience and make your project more interactive and engaging.