1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball rolling down a segment then up a parabolic segment

1. May 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 181 g ball is released from rest H=5.19 m above the bottom of the track shown in Figure. It rolls down a straight 21° segment, then back up a parabolic segment whose shape is given by y=x2/4, where x and y are in m. How high will the ball go on the right before reversing direction and rolling back down?
    C10P81.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Ki+Ui=Kf+Uf
    K=mv^2/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure how to start this because everytime i go to one direction i hit a dead end.
    At the begining it has both Ki=0 and Ui=0 correct?
    Then at the final it has Kf and Uf right?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2009 #2
    Here is my work but I don't even think I am on the right track......

This is for rolling down incline
    Physics7.jpg

This is for rolling up the parabola
    Physics8.jpg
    EDIT: I put the wrong dominator in for the very last part when calculating Y it should be 4, but that anwser did not work either

4. May 22, 2009 #3
    WOOOOOOW I am so sorry for wasting everyones times the parabola made me over think this equation since Ki+Ui=Kf+Kf.....energy would force the ball up the same height as it began.

5. May 22, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

The question gave you additional information to deceive you. Realizing this in the end only makes you understand energy conservation better. It's hardly wasting anyone's time.

6. May 22, 2009 #5
    Yeah, I see what you mean but I didn't need to make a thread after.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook